Accidentally deleted away inital piece of my writing, now ain't getting motivation to start again :(

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Darkcula, Mar 14, 2015.

1. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Can you remember what you wrote? I'm sure you can write it up again pretty quickly since you won't need to tweak it as much as you did the first time. I've also used e-mail before to send myself drafts. You might want to consider trying that to back up your work. Good luck!

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

I'm sure that you can rewrite those 800 words better than before, if you can remember roughly what you wrote then write it down in a new way, for all you know, this version could be better than the previous version.

the best decision i made was paying £45 for a external hard drive which i have backed EVERYTHING up on!

3. rincewind31

rincewind31 Active Member

It happens to the best of us. Several years ago i accidentally deleted my wife and buried her in the garden. It took a few weeks to get over it, but eventually i just pulled myself together and started again with someone else.

Darkcula and kfmiller like this.
  4. Skaruts

Skaruts Member

This really sucks and I'm waiting to see if I'm an even worse situation. My pc is getting fixed, and I don't yet know if my HDDs are busted. If they are, I'm doomed.

Rule 1 of digital work: make backups!

I would think I had learned that lesson before...

What you could do - and what I will do if I'm not lucky - is try to sketch out the stuff you lost, and keep writing the rest as if nothing happened (as tough as it may be).

Eventually you'll gain the courage (and hopefully the same insights) to fully re-write what was lost. But sketching it for now is probably useful for not forgetting the bits that you still have in your mind. Jot them all down. After all, your mind is the last backup you have, even if a blurry one. If you let time go by and forget what you still have in there, you'll lose it all.

I hope that helps.

5. A Fellow Stalker

A Fellow Stalker Member

Just think of it as an opportunity. You'd probably end up rewriting it when you revise it, anyway!

6. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

So I read this thread, now I made 5 backups of my work. Dropbox, Google Drive, USB, external harddrive, and another local copy.

7. A Fellow Stalker

A Fellow Stalker Member

A copy on computer and another on google drive would probably do you fine.

I just use SVN. Make a repository with your work and hit commit whenever you want to save the backup.