1. atsgtm2018

atsgtm2018 Member

Acryonm/Grammar question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by atsgtm2018, Jul 5, 2017.

Does the word "to" initial count in an acryonm. Words like "of" I see aren't used like in FBI but the would you use the initial for "to" in an acryonm. Having a brain fart...

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I've seen it used in the initialism RTFM.... can't recall being aware of it in an acronym. For that I'd say leave it out.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It depends how cool the acronym sounds with or without the little words. FBI sounds cool. FBOI would sound stupid. And all the government shit is three letters. I think it's in the Constitution... somewhere at the bottom.

izzybot likes this.
  4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd tend to think nah, but if you want to include it to make the acronym cooler, go for it. NASA comes to mind for acronyms that are a little silly explained but sound cool shortened (OSIRIS Rex was the specific one I remembered: Origins-Spectral Interpretation-Resource Identification-Security-Regolith Explorer), so that's for sure something that happens in real life.