Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Adapting Screenplay into a novel

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by MilesTro, May 14, 2017.

I wrote a screenplay, but I am not sure if any studio will accept it. So I decided to adapt it into a novel first. Can anyone give me some ideas of how I should adapt my script into a novel? I know the script formats and I read many novels to. Any thoughts?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've done that before. Basically the script will give you the shape of events and some dialogue but not much else. If you're happy with the story you'll know where to go and when, but all the imagery, interior monologue, description, and emotion has to be filled in. Most of the movie tricks won't work.

Cave Troll and MilesTro like this.
  3. Razortooth

Razortooth Member

I too am thinking of doing a similar thing. I have two short scripts that I feel may be better received and consumable as short prose instead of formatted script. I guess there would be a need for additional detail of the scenes unfolding. With a script a lot of the action and dialogue would be fleshed out through performance whereas the prose would need to build the world more for the reader.

MilesTro likes this.