1. MrOutCastX

MrOutCastX New Member

Adding information in first person

Discussion in 'Point of View, and Voice' started by MrOutCastX, Mar 22, 2016.

I'm working on writing a story, but I'm having a problem.
    I want to make it first person and follow the main character around in his quest to rescue his love, but I need to include details about the villain and the girl's imprisonment in order for the story to make sense. So, I need to figure out how to incorporate those events in the story without my MC knowing. I was thinking about possibly doing a couple chapters in the antagonist's point of view, or switch over to third person for a chapter or two here and there, but I don't know what would work. Any ideas?

2. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Just have a couple of chapters told from the antagonist's point of view. Pretty much the standard go-to for stuff like this, no one is going to think less of you or your writing for doing it.

3. MrOutCastX

MrOutCastX New Member

That's what I felt would fit best, but I've been reading a bunch of books on writing and none of them specifically mentioned it.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll try it out and see how it works.

4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

If you write both 1st POV and 3rd POV.. keep watch for scene transitions. Else the reader gets easily confused..