1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

McCain chooses Vp

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferret, Aug 31, 2008.

McCain chose Sarah Palin as his Vp, and totally blew Obama's speech out of the water with the announcement.
    She's hot. She's uber Republican. She's down to Earth. She's a very strong Christian. She sounds like a natural choice, minus her inexperience.

2. lessa

lessa New Member

I am Canadian so can't vote but if I could it would be McCain and his running partner all the way.
    She has more experience that Obama.
    Anyone who can keep a husband happy raise 5 kids and hold down a job doing it well, is one very clever and experienced woman.
    I don't think you guys could do much better than having her as VP unless of course it is as President.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Thats what I call a power move. He can attract some Hilary supporters, fortify his support in the US Christian base, and get a young new fell that Obama is maximizing on. Be interesting to see how it plays out for McCain. This really is an interesting election.

4. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

and if McCain dies, we have a pretty new president. :)

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

If McCain dies, we have history . . . the first female president.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

lol I totally just noticed. We can have the first black president, or the first female VP. Now that I think of it Obama has lost an edge.

7. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I haven't liked her since that wolf thing, but it was a very smart move to pick her. Now Obama has an Old White Guy (tm) and McCain has an Attractive Young Person.

Ah, politics! Like a cesspool in full bloom!

8. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I don't think experience should be the only reason for choosing the person to lead 300 million people. It's about what the plans to do, his willingness to do what must be done, what the people what him to do, and his ability to do it.

9. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

There's still hope yet! :D

10. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I don't like Obama, there's something about him that unsettles me.

Then again, I don't want a religious party in power of America. That's what Republicans are, right? :rolleyes:

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

See, this is what I never understood about American politics. You choose the person on how big a celebrity they are. Here we tend to vote on policy.

And to be fair, if the democrats can't win after 8 years of one of the most unpopular presidents in history, there really is no hope for them.

12. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I can't believe this...

Palin has experience? What? She has spent twenty months governing maybe a million people. Oh. Right. Great.

So she's a woman. Big whoop! Which is not to say I am against diversity; I am against diversity overshadowing policy. Would you vote for a blonde man just to make them the first blonde man in office? Should that really matter to you? Heck and no.

I'll admit it was a clever move on McCain's part, but there are quite a few flaws- and I'm still personally going to lose quite a bit of faith in an already faith-starved America if we don't stop getting Older and Whiter (tm), which we'll only do if we DON'T vote McCain into office.

As for the Christian/down-to-earth comment: Excuse me? She supports teaching intelligent design in the schools. Hoo boy.

13. Banzai

The issue here seems to be race against gender. Which is dumb, frankly. But maybe I'm just old fashioned and think that you should vote for a person because you agree with their policies, and gender and race shouldn't come into it. But hey, if you want to vote for someone because of their skin colour, or because they have a woman standing next to them, thats up to you. At least you're voting, I guess...

That said, the situation here is that the government is crap, and the opposition is just as crap. So they've broken the system, really.

14. Banzai

And technically, McCain has chosen his running mate. He'd have to actually win the election for her to become his vice president.

15. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

This woman, barely as any experience in government (hell, even Obama has more experience than she does, and as a senator at that), and she leans towards having a christian influence in the government (which McCain said he was against during the 2000 election). She was chosen simply for shock value, and I think in the end, it will come back to bite McCain in the backside. Big time.

16. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Obama and Palin have essentially equal political experience on the state/federal level. Obama was in the senate for two years, and Palin was govenor for two years. Prior to those elections, Obama was in the Illinois State Legislature for seven years, and Palin was the Mayor Wasilla Alaska for about six years.

Palin is a good thing for McCain. I've been reading over her history and she brigns to the table everything McCain needs. She's Christian, she's environmentally, though she's supported Oil drilling in Alaska, she's also supported increasing taxes on oil companies (Which gives McCain two things. Support in his plans to expand oil drilling and a counter to Obama's oil policies). More so she can bring back some of the Christian base that was lost under the Bush administration, and she even has the potential to pull over ex-Hilary supporters who are upset with Obama.

I doubt this will bite McCain. You'd think Obama's lack of exeperience and done nothing record would have bitten him by now but it really hasn't so I don't see a problem. It's really going to come down to selling points and both campaigns have their good number of positives.

17. lessa

lessa New Member

have they even fully decided if Obama is an American citizen?

Palin has shown she can deal with Canadians. Obama seems to want to lock the door and never open it to negotiations with us.
    I know governments are supposed to make deals good for their own countries but locking out your largest trading partner is not the way to go. It will make for very bad relations between our countries.

18. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Should I find it a little disturbing that a lot of the non-U.S. citizens here seem to know more about american politics than many americans?

19. Banzai

It's all the news here goes on about CDRW. It really annoys me, because I genuinely don't care about American politics, especially when our own are such a mess. But that's the world we live in; completely America-centric. Not having a go at Americans, just stating that Labour's ineptitude, and the Conservative's lack of policy, and the Lib Dems almost-complete disappearance from the political stage seem to have taken a back bench to a foreign election which doesn't even happen for another 10 bloody weeks. It riles me.

20. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Yes. Yes you should. It's really very very sad that its pretty much true. Sad face. :(.

It was never really in question. Obama was born in the US (Hawaii to be exact) thus he's automatically a US citizen. There was some scuffle about it like five/six months ago or something but I think it was a formality sort of thing.

21. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

She's environmentally disastrous, is what she is. Oil drilling in protected areas? Wolf pelt bounties? "Not convinced" on global warming?

The environment is one of my key voting issues, and Palin is basically a catastrophe on that front.

That doesn't say one way or the other on her generally, or on other issues, but to claim that she's anything but a negative for a green-minded voter is inaccurate.

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

There is more than one kind of Environmentalism. Palin appears to subscribe to the typical Christian adaptation (a relatively new one at that) where the view of the issue is based on the Garden of Eden tale (In which Adam was essentially the Gardener). Her position appears to be that the environment is important and in danger but that it is possible to meet other needs and maintain the environment at the same time. I agree with that position. It is possible to drill for oil and maintain the environment with careful planning. Like I said, selling points.

And don't mock the not convinced on Global Warming position. I acknowledge the world is warming but question the conclusions as to why. Scientists can say they know why all they want but they really don't. They've drawn a logical theory that makes sense but can't be proven with the current data.

23. penhobby

penhobby New Member

I was born and raised in the southern United States (SC) by republican parents. Religion was always a huge factor in my life growing up, almost to the point of being fanatical. In the case of my parents…and nearly everyone I knew religion was behind nearly every political decision they made. All other political considerations came second. Even as a teenager I saw the flaw in this idea.

As to the members not from the US, you need to realize that most Americans live inside a giant, rose colored, glass bubble controlled by our media. Don’t believe me? Look up the conflict in Georgia on CNN and then look it up on BBC. (Just as a recent example.) I trust nothing from our media and research everything from all sides. I just wish others did the same.

24. lessa

lessa New Member

never trust the media. of any era.
    according to a friend of mine from England they let you win the rebellion because you were more work than it was worth. good PR person over there.

according to American history you guys won the war of 1812.
    very good PR for your country.
    totally wrong according the the border with Canada.

Media goes with who has the most money or influence.

Media has always been biased for one side or the other.
    Read all sides and come to your own conclusions.
    Or ignore it all and live the best you can in any situation.

25. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Which is, in point of fact, not environmentalism. Putting oil profits and maintaining the status quo above preserving the rapidly-shrinking areas of natural habitat is pretty much the opposite of environmentalism, which generally seeks to put protecting the environment above other concerns rather than below them.

She has done nothing to pursue or encourage alternative energy sources, which is what needs to be done (needed to be done decades ago, really) to "meet other needs" while maintaining the environment.

I'm not mocking it, but I disagree with it strongly, and it's a huge black mark against her from a green point of view. My purpose is not to argue the science of it, but merely to point out that calling Palin environmentally-friendly is just not accurate. Environmentalists do not like her, and those of us who vote on issues of environmental protection will be turned off of the ticket because of her.

I vote on issues, not party. My biggest issue is the environment. Palin's selection has cemented my unhappiness with the Republican answer to these problems.