1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Atlantic, July issue: Women Are Writing the Best Crime Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 21, 2016.

Women Are Writing the Best Crime Novels
    This was my favorite part:
    It's of course an oversimplification and there are no doubt plenty of men that write some very complex and interesting crime novels. But I do like the observation that the macho detective fighting the bad guys is seriously an old trope that you still see too much of.

2. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

I hate to say this @GingerCoffee, but this trend is only going to increase going forward. I think you will see that women will dominate the markets in about 20 years from now. The only thing holding them back now is themselves. We are still living in a male dominant society, but each passing year we grow closer to equality. Right now women who write put entirely too much pressure on themselves when it comes to writing. I see it here a lot on this forum. You take perfectly good stories and mind F__k yourselves into thinking it's not good enough.
    Right now women own Romance. The need to be perfect, in my opinion, will disappear in the coming years and the true creativity will start to unravel for women. Women's dark sides will come out and start to dominate Horror and Sci/fi. You can already see progression for women in Fantasy.
    I am not saying this to kiss ass. To me, women are the most evil beings on the planet, LOL. I can't wait to see what you women come up with when all borders are broken. Probably make Stephen King look like a sissy!

Cave Troll and GingerCoffee like this.
  3. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Well if that's the case.
    I guess we better start upping our game then. :supercheeky:

No joke.

@GingerCoffee

I also hear Scandanavia got big into crime fiction as well recently and I'm working on a crime piece at the moment. :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I would love to see a graph of the proportion of male to female writers over time.

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

"As individualism itself became a less sustainable concept, the popular imagination began to relocate its mythic figures to places farther and farther away from the real-world settings of the old West and the modern city (to, say, the Marvel universe)."

What does this sentence mean? Individualism no longer exists?

Also, Marvel doesn't sound very good :\

6. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

It seems Arquette’s call to arms was heeded by her contemporaries, as Meryl Streep has backed her convictions with cash. Streep has funded a groundbreaking new initiative for female screenwriters over the age of 40 which aims to remedy the absence of female voices in narrative film.

A report published by the BFI showed that 84 per cent of all UK independent films released between 2010 and 2012 were written by men. However, the findings also showed that British female screenwriters have made a breakthrough in recent years, with figures showing a higher female representation of 37 per cent in the top UK independent films between 2010 and 2012. This suggests that female screenwriters, whilst still under-represented, were behind some of the most successful films in box office terms.

TV and film are still way behind here in the US as far as using women writers. But this trend will be on the rise. The two quotes above were from an article looking for equality for writers in the US.
    A lot of the article was networks afraid of taking risks with young female writers. People like Meryl Streep are putting it out there that they are tired or the inequality of the business.
    Things are changing for sure.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Raven484 King is a pussy. (Sorry but it is true). But I agree that women are far scarier than men are. (Sorry Clive Barker, but you will be out done in the future.) :p

@GingerCoffee This is not a surprise, considering that more and more women are writing in general. With big names like Rowling and E L James, dominating in the market.
    It is proving that women can be just as good as their male counterparts if not better. Personally I like the Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell, over most of the other murder
    mysteries I have read by men. So naturally there will be a big shift in the industry as time progresses on. :)

8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I'll see your Cornwell and raise you a Karin Slaughter. That woman is twisted :D

GingerCoffee and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Elmore Leonard who was mentioned in the article has always been my favorite crime writer.

At least as far as reading consistently goes but I'll have to be checking out Karin Slaughter, Patricia Cornwell, George Pelecanos and a lot of the others. BUT come on the subject of women crime writers (and just crime/mystery writers overall) we all know we gotta give a shoutout to my a gal Agatha Christie :supercool:

I know its a cliche answer but man she was slick, most of all for her time.

Hell, I still think she's slick.

Most of all in her in her plots.

I'm a character focused writer and reader by instinct but man if I could ever work up my mystery plotting skills like that, it be amazing. I thought Girl on the Train was great, didn't like Gone Girl much and what not but I solved all the mysteries in those fairly quickly.

Within the first fifteen to twenty five pages I'd solved.

This happens to me with a lot of mysteries these days.

I still love the books and think they are great but in terms of the actual complexities of the plot, it almost feels like Agatha Christie was one of those people who did it on a different level. I'm sure others here are quite a bit more sharp then me but I can't solve Agatha Christie's mysteries in a few pages when she's at her A-game. Heck, I had to give up on And Then There Was None and let the shocker come to me through just reading it because I couldn't figure it out. Of course, I read for a lot more then just the thrill of figuring who did it but it just amazes me how good she was at doing at that stuff.
    She's forever gonna be in my top ten writers ever. :supersmile:

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Simpson17866 Sounds entertaining. I am more of a Horror than a Crime/Mystery/Thriller type of guy, but I trust you. :)