Advice for a First Time Author

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Alice in Wonderland, May 17, 2007.

1. Jensen

Jensen Member

Here are the best pieces of advice I've gotten
    - Show, don't tell. It's been said quite a few times, but it's really important if you want to write a story that keeps your readers engaged.
    - Write every day. Even if your work is horrible and it hurts your eyes to look at it, write and finish it. This helps with slow and steady improvement.
    - Write in a different genre or style every day or every few days. It helps stave off writer's block and keeps your mind fresh. It's also good to have experience writing in several different genres.
    - Don't follow strict rules when you're writing a rough draft. You'll just end up getting discouraged and giving up. If you have a story to tell, just write it. Don't dwell on details. Save that for editing.
    - Read different genres, including non fiction. I've noticed that a lot of authors, especially young ones, tend to read only a few specific genres and almost never read non fiction. However, reading different genres and non fiction can really help with inspiration, improving your style, writers block, etc.

Gary Wed likes this.
  2. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Five things, all for MammaMaia:

1. Writing is a solitary endeavor. Spending times on forums takes time away from doing it, and generally is just a case of the blind leading the blind.
    2. If writing a series, each novel needs to stand on it's own. Otherwise, you're forcing people to buy the ones before it, and that's not fair.
    3. Edit on paper, it's easier to catch your mistakes.
    4. To write your best, you need to read. Reading the 100 best novels of the twentieth century is a good place to start. Nabokov's "Lolita," despite the subject matter, is a masterfully crafted book. Take notes from his writing.
    5. Learn the rules of writing, that way you know which ones you can break, and which one's you cannot.

Then there's one from Stephen King:

Sometimes you have to go one when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing to do is shovel shit from a sitting position.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Clarity, clarity, clarity. Be crystal clear what happens and why, and pay attention to cause and effect. Thanks go to @jannert .

The other advices I got you'll find in my signature. They are there to remind me every day never to forget them.

Gary Wed and Jensen like this.
  4. Jensen

Jensen Member

It helps to develop realistic and in depth backstories for every character, even if you never intend on revealing them. They help with figuring out exactly which actions your character will take and how they'll react to certain situations because you know your character like the back of your hand.

5. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I had a hard time understanding how to square show vs tell, and helping readers connect with characters by showing their thoughts in prose, so I kept putting more and more physical reactions in to show emotions.

A friend of mine (who is querying a great novel) explained exposition to me in a way that let me see it in other books, and then write it.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

From Vonnegut (I think): every character should want something, even if it's only a glass of water.

I've used that a bunch times within scenes. Make a character thirsty. Or make them have to pee... the subtext writes itself.

Jensen, jannert and Shenanigator like this.
  7. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

I think it would be trimming my work and removing anything that wouldn't take away from the writing. If I remove things and the peice is still effective then that's good.

Jensen likes this.
  8. Colactix

Colactix Member

Read like a writer, and ask questions.

9. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I haven't spent much time on writing forums in order for anyone to be able to give me advice I can use apart from the standard stuff. Plus, I have a terrible memory. I've read articles and thought I should try incorporating that into my work.

My Granddad told me to study the classics. So he handed me a load and sent me off. I remember I had to hide 'Lolita' under my bed so my Mother wouldn't find it. I talked to my old pops about it being too much, and he said:
    "Ignore the subject matter. Study his method and style."
    So I did.

He also told me that humans were extremely predictable, and you can guess a person's move, especially if you have the ability to influence it. He had this old wooden box in his Library (I have it now) and he would sit it on his desk and tell never that I should never ever look inside his secret box. I was forbidden!
    When he died, he left instructions for this wooden box to be given to me. I wanted to know what was in it, I had an itch to know, always had. So I opened it.

Inside was a piece of old paper all folded up. I unfolded it and in big letters he'd written:
    "I TOLD YOU NOT TO LOOK BUT I KNEW YOU WOULD!"
    I apply that to my characters I think.

jannert and Jensen like this.
  10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Another great one is write how your characters see the world, not how you see your characters. That one is money... i can't count how many times that one has fixed a lame scene.

Odile_Blud and jannert like this.
  11. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Don't describe the emotion. Describe the situation and let the reader experience the emotion. (Show don't tell.)
    Also, don't write when you're toasty. (But... It worked for Coleridge!)

jannert likes this.
  12. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Read it aloud. If you stumble, the reader stumbles.

XRD_author likes this.
  13. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

What a great post. Really. Thanks for posting this.

Some Guy likes this.
  14. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Your very welcome, let us know what's on your mind often. Some of the blogs and journals do exactly that. They make good examples. I look forward to seeyou sharing with us. :)

15. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

I dunno, I guess I'm getting thrown off by the use of the word focus here. Focus is good, but you shouldn't think of it in terms of "I can only focus on one thing;" you can do a lot of stuff. You don't have to give up writing to do well at school. I think of this stuff in terms of taking care of business. I'm not sure if it's different for future educators or not, but truth is your grades in university don't effect much after you graduate. Do well, pass, keep above a 3.0 average. Don't pour all your energy into it though beyond the point of diminishing returns, because you have a lot of free time during school that you can put to other stuff to gain valuable experience. Writing can be included in that. Continuing your education should be an absolute, don't even think about abandoning it, but also don't be too worried to put your time into other things too.

LoaDyron likes this.
  16. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello, friend! :superhello:

At your age it is normal you are confused and a bit lost. I remember as well at your age being like, alright I like this and that, what will I do in the future? And believe me, I have a Design degree. However, I also love writing, comics, films.

Now I agree with your father that you should focus on your degree, but at the same time, I would add, in your spare time write something. You don't what? Watch youtube videos subscribe for YouTubers about writing. Don't worry for now what genre, think what do you want to write. Read some books as well, see how the writers you like start their story, any word you don't understand? Look for the meaning. Look for podcasts or events about writing. Use your life experience as an example to write a story. Yes, you are studying, but your struggle to find an answer to give up or not to write can already be an idea.

Now I may sound this is easy but is not. But that's why it is good you find yourself in this situation because as you already know, life is never going to be easy. And later you will think: "Damn it was hard, but it was worth of the sacrifice." How do you think your favourite writers started their career? I'm sure none of them has opened paths, they had to fight for what they want, and the same is for you. For now, do your studies, but in your spare time write.

To sum up, never give up! Keep that flame for writing awake. Start writing progress here with us, share your ideas. I hope this was helpful.

Fight! Be victorious! And have fun in your life! :superagree:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    The Piper likes this.
  17. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Remember, you're dad was once 19 and had dreams too. But slowly, invisibly he traded those dreams for a reliable paycheck, for marriage and children, a mortgage payment and all the other bullshit we sell our dreams for. I don't think you're looking for advice at all. I think you'd like us to let you off the hook so you won't have to take a chance on your dreams.

Do what you want in life, and don't answer to anyone.

18. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Giving up is for pussies. Are you a pussy? Do you want to be a pussy? No? I thought not.

Remember that the outcomes from giving up and failing are both more or less the same, but at least if you fail, you learn something. Give up and the only thing you will learn is self-hate.

Trust me, I've been there.

When I give up it will because they've put me in a box.

Iain Sparrow, Tea@3 and The Piper like this.
  19. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Man after my own heart.

<thisisapretend'cheers'grapgicsincewestilldonthaveabeermugemojionthissite>

Partridge likes this.
  20. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

I've also just noticed that I said "when I give up it will because they've put me in a box."

What I meant to say was "it will be because"....Enough to make me want to give up ;)

21. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I feel like the poll is missing the most appropriate option:

- Do both: Work toward parallel writing and "day job" careers.

LoaDyron likes this.
  22. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Ann Patchett taught, waited tables, and did nonfiction writing for magazines where she chose her assignments for maximum pay for minimum time. She didn't hit serious fiction-writing money until her fourth book.

http://archive.jsonline.com/entertainment/books/this-is-the-story-of-a-happy-marriage-is-a-grab-bag-of-ann-patchetts-work-b99144374z1-233037031.html/

I know Elizabeth Gilbert waited tables. I think she also worked a number of other jobs. She thinks it's a mistake to assign your "art" to support you. She didn't quit her "day job" until the huge success of Eat Pray Love, even though she had published books before that.

https://www.lucberthelette.com/author---elizabeth-gilbert

You can read about Stephen King's bazillion other jobs in On Writing. One website (https://blog.lulu.com/2012/10/02/writers-with-day-jobs/) says that "Stephen King thought of the opening scene for Carrie while pushing around a bucket to mop hallways"

"Writing career plus day job" isn't giving up--it's normal.

Partridge and 123456789 like this.
  23. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I dunno. What are the hours like?

Some Guy and Harmonices like this.
  24. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Indeed. Before I was published in the realms of non-fiction I worked at an ASDA (other supermarkets are available) and got the idea for the book I'm launching this Summer, while I was filling the freezers with Chicago Town pizzas (other pizza brands are available).
    It perhaps wasn't so odd that the idea came to me while I was out and about with other people - that's where your inspiration comes from.

Working a "dull" dayjob is the best thing a writer can do when they are looking for inspiration because it puts you in touch with everyday people and situations, while your mind is more or less free to wonder off and do its own thing.
    In fact, dull service jobs can be good for a creative mind which is trying to find its way I think, because your brain power isn't being used up by a "proper job" and all the office politics and associated bullshit that often comes with one.

You know Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club guy? He wrote most of Fight Club underneath trucks in the workshop he worked at. The all male, working class environment probably had a lot to answer for, because Fight Club is about masculinity in the modern era.

This is why we can't spent our lives behind laptops.

But I'm not changing my vote from "stop worrying and go to bed".

Some Guy likes this.
  25. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

I could think of some pun about opening hours, but it's too early.

Some Guy likes this.