1. TheFinalguy

TheFinalguy Member

Advice for finishing a book or polishing it

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheFinalguy, Aug 16, 2018.

This isn't the first novel I've written but I write every story differently just because that's what I like to do. That being said, the way I wrote the current novel I'm working on is an immense struggle. I am not particularly happy with what I've written and some themes aren't getting across the way I like in certain chapters. I can't tell if I'm just being nitpicky either because I'm very happy with specific parts and others not so. Right now there is a portion at the beginning of the narrative that spans a four to five chapter long party that's roughly 25 pages. It's long and I'm fairly sure it's boring. My question is: Should I just finish the book and ignore this massive MASSIVE wall that I do not like? Or should I cull it while I can and possibly disassemble half of what I've already written? I'm about halfway done writing the manuscript if not a bit less. This may be an opinion based dilemma but I'd like to see other people's insights are. A lot of energy and time is being wasted on this hurdle.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I find it easier (well, maybe not easier, but definitely better) to focus on finishing a project before you go tinkering with it. It keeps you from getting bogged down in making little adjustments and never actually making any progress. Different people work in different ways, of course -- you might find that you can't concentrate on finishing the thing with the beginning weighing on your mind. But for my money: get it done. Done is better than perfect.

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

There's no "right" answer. You have to do whichever will least impede your own creative process. I'm nearing the end of my first draft, and I have two trouble chapters that I "must" rewrite before I can continue moving forward because I can think of nothing else. Others take notes and hit them on the next pass because they don't want to lose momentum. It's up to you. What is your gut telling you to do? The first answer that pops into your head is probably what's right for you.

4. TheFinalguy

TheFinalguy Member

"Before I can continue moving forward because I can think of nothing else." I think this strikes the heart of the issue, as I can think of many other things. I think I'm gonna take the advice from you two and just finish it. The main reason I don't want to move forward is because it's nonsensical with previous chapters but I suppose that's what the second draft will be for. Much thanks.

Shenanigator likes this.