1. FlyingUnicorn

FlyingUnicorn New Member

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by FlyingUnicorn, Jun 12, 2017.

Hi,
    I'm currently working on my first novel - a historical novel which flits back and forth between a past era and modern day and focuses on an issue pertinent to women (in the main).
    I am now about to write my first historical chapter (chapter 4) and realise that I will be showing what I have already told in previous chapters. So, the reader already knows what is going to happen but I am elaborating some more to give one of my protagonists further character depth/background. I'm not sure if this will hold the readers attention or whether it is completely necessary (covers big life events such as death and marriage) or whether to keep the chapter shorter than the others.
    Anyone written anything like this or have found a new approach?
    All advice gratefully received.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Do you need to tell what happened in the past in the present chapters? Why not let the historical characters tell their own story?

If you must for some reason... then I would leave unanswered questions in the present chapters, and answer them in the past. Like in the present, have your character think "Why on earth did Past Character agree to marry that man?" and, when you switch to the past, show us why.

TWErvin2 and BayView like this.
  3. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

Since you are revealing new information, I think it will be okay, particularly if the story is interesting. Perhaps you could use another POV to give it a different feel. Look at how many time the movie Edge of Tomorrow played out the same scenes.

4. FlyingUnicorn

FlyingUnicorn New Member

The main modern day protagonist stumbles upon grave which tells us x has died. She does some research at archive centre and more information re marriage of deceased and cause of death of family member is revealed. Next chapter basically talks through that - so a bit about life before this tragic thing happened to her and then about this first tragic thing happening (lots of tragic things happen to historical protagonist!). Modern protagonist story is told via first person, and historical main protagonist was going to be told through third person - questioning how effective this is.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You can show us your modern protag doing the research and even show us her reaction to the research without telling us exactly what she's found out. Might be a good way to build some interest...

6. FlyingUnicorn

FlyingUnicorn New Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far; I have already changes things around a bit. Anyone else ever written in this way alternating between past and present?

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It kind of depends. I think in this case the 1st/3rd split could be quite effective because the contrast in voice will amplify the contrast of time. And there's some huge irony potential here too where the readers will know things that the characters do not. That can be tricky to pull off but it's awesome when it works. Especially in a "mystery" setting, which sounds like what you're going for with the modern MC researching what happened to the past MC. What would worry me is making both timelines interesting and having both MCs' journeys relate to each other despite the gap in time and acquaintance. What happened to the past MC has to relate to what happens to the present MC, but not necessarily the other way around, since by definition the present can have no direct impact on the past. Is it a 50/50 split between the two timelines or is one of them emphasized over the other? I would think the closer they are to 50/50 the more each with have to sync with the other... almost like it you split the two halves into separate stories they shouldn't be able to stand on their own, if that makes any sense. If it's more like a 75/25 (or even 65/35) the smaller would probably be more effective if it drives the larger.

Sounds like a good idea though... I'm interested.

8. FlyingUnicorn

FlyingUnicorn New Member

Hi Homer Potvin, yes the two journeys' do relate since both the main protagonists experienced the same kind of thing - only one historically but each had a different outcome and the historical character obviously found themselves in different circumstances (but were affected similarly to the modern day character - there is an underlying theme). There is definitely mystery involved and the modern day mc through research etc weaves in and out of life of historical character, there is also a slight twist towards the end - could be good if I can pull it off but very ambitious for first attempt at novel and now bulking a bit at task ahead - first draft more or less written - now editing and editing again and again and again - nearing completion of chapter 3 of approximately 15.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far