1. SnapCrackleFizz

SnapCrackleFizz New Member

Would you write about having an affair with someone you're still close with?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SnapCrackleFizz, Dec 15, 2011.

Pretty self explanatory, it came up in conversation one day. I wanted to see what people in a third party environment thought.

2. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Aaaaand I mis-read the question, thought this was about reality! God damnit i'm stupid. -5 life points for me.

3. bahloo

bahloo New Member

not a chance. Too much prospect for somebody seeing it and getting the wrong idea.

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Read: "would you write about it?" The question isn't about whether you'd actually do it.

I wouldn't write directly about myself or people I know. I sometimes get inspiration from my own life, but never from anybody else's (not directly).
    If I actually found myself in that situation, I wouldn't actually go along with the affair, but if we're being honest, I would think about it. I'd think about it a lot. I'm only human. Again, though, I wouldn't write about it. There'd be nothing to write about.

5. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Let me get this straight - you mean writing fictional about having an affair with someone you're close with in real life?

Well, if you intend on being published. Think long and hard about what the other party will make out of your fantasies, ask yourself if you care, how exactly are you both portrayed, etc.

One thing I'd definitely stay away from is depicting an actual, real affair - artistic license or not, people will get upset, others will wonder what else is true in your writing... Over all just a big fat mess.
    The scandal may sell your story though. If it's scandalous enough :p

6. Froggy

Froggy New Member

hit the button once and got two posts out of it. how economical...

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I don't see why not.
    You can write about anything so long as the name of the personnes involved are not mentioned.
    what is to stop you?
    aren't these what fantaisies are all about?
    I say go ahead, you do not need anyone approval s long as no one is hurt in the process it is as good as it gets.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

who and how is anyone going to see it?

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

credit crunch and two for the price of oneis where it's at.:D

10. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

It's actually more complicated than that. Even when the person's name is changed, even if the location is changed, you can still be taken to court over that sort of thing and a court is likely to fine you because you're profiting off of another person and such. It's not even worth risking.
    Well, there's this thing called reading, you see. And some people like to read. In fact, a lot of people like to read. And if someone uses their eyes just right while holding the book you write in front of them, they'll gain the mystical ability to decipher its contents.

So, basically, if you write it, get it published (or if you're dumb enough to let people read it), then they'll realise what it's about and who is who even without names or locations. People aren't stupid. They can tell when something is written about them or somebody they know.

Also, can you please learn to multi-quote, Cacian? Seriously, triple-posting is ridiculous.

11. Cacian

Cacian Banned

If it is a story and it is written well how is the person going to know it is about them?
    This is called fitcion and people having been having affairs since the beginning of time.
    There are special newspapers that live off these kinds stories . They don't get taken to court.
    I really do not the issue here.

12. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

In my stories, if I inserted a real-life affair into the plot, it would likely end up as an affair between a vampire and a werewolf, or a woman cheating on her ghost husband because she's upset about not being able to touch him. So I doubt anyone would get offended. (Not to mention that I hate writing sexuality of any kind and only do it if I feel it's absolutely necessary.)

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not getting you here quite.
    How can you use the word 'cheat' when the person/husband is actually dead.
    There is no such concept of someone cheating when the person has passed away?
    If I read you story I would not feel it is that credible in the sense that people carry on living their lives when others has passed away.
    This kind of plot might affect other more sensitive readers to start thinking they are doing something wrong.
    This is my honest view and I am not in anyw ay trying to be rude.
    It is just an opinion.

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not getting you here quite.
    How can you use the word 'cheat' when the person/husband is actually dead.
    There is no such concept of someone cheating when the person has passed away?
    If I read you story I would not feel it is that credible in the sense that people carry on living their lives when others has passed away.
    This kind of plot might affect other more sensitive readers to start thinking they are doing something wrong.
    This is my honest view and I am not in anyw ay trying to be rude.
    It is just an opinion.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

probably... but i'd change the names to protect the guilty/innocent!