1. kyfrost

kyfrost New Member

Advice on Character History

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by kyfrost, Aug 10, 2018.

I'm new here, and found this place in an attempt to get some advice on a dilemma I'm having in regards to the backstory for two of my major characters.

Without getting into a whole long drawn thing about it my story is based on characters that some of my friends and I actually role played for about two years and the world we built around them. During that time, due to various reasons, we actually rewrote the history for a few of the characters. This change mostly concerns the two characters that my story will be focusing on.

The characters are sisters, and in the original story line they were twins who were adopted (not so legally) by two different families. They grew up not knowing that the other existed and find one another as adults to find that despite having very different upbringings they have chosen very similar paths in life, and so on from there.

In the alternative history they are still sisters, though this time a few years apart. In this storyline they grew up together, raised by their father though he left them when they were teenagers. The older sister takes on the caregiver role well into adulthood making their relationship very co-dependent.

I am having hard time deciding which version is more interesting, and it's vital to the opening scene. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Well, I'd step back and look at the rest of the story besides the beginning. Which one would be easier to use with how the rest of the story is? Would it be easier to have them be twins or just sisters? Would it be easier to let them know each other or no? Ask yourself those questions in terms of the rest of the story.
    If it's really not any different, I'd say go for the twins one. I think it would be interesting and life changing to find out you have a twin.