1. devalois

devalois New Member

Plot Ideas (Which is Best?)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by devalois, Oct 20, 2008.

So I've realized over the past few months that everything I want to write is in some way or another about a man obsessed with a woman...so I should probably go with it. It's all rather dark.

(1) Realistic; An artist becomes obsessed with a model he meets. It's about how artistic people sometimes throw love around too much and confuse love for inspiration and beauty. His obsession ultimately destroys his mind and his work.

(2) Convoluted fairy-tale; An artist has a vision that he wants to paint, and won't settle for his usual models, so he carves a statue. He tries to go back to his normal work but finds everything falling short of his wooden Venus. He becomes obsessed, and somehow she comes to life (no idea how to do this without being corny). He realized that her humanity is quite annoying (she no longer is perfect and complacent) and he locks her up during the day, but uses her for sex. In the end, she kills him for her freedom.

(3) Realistic; On a night of too much alcohol, a couple ends up having sex in front of their mutual friend. He (the voyeur, whose POV the story will be in) becomes obsessed with his friend's girl to the point of stalking. No idea how it will end, but like number one, it winds up destroying his mental stability.

Sorry for the novella, but I can't decide.

2. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Try starting out each story and seeing which one ends up being easiest to write...

3. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

You seem to have #2 the most fleshed-out (no pun intended,) so I vote for that-- it's classic! :)

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I agree that you should write a little bit on each of the three and see which one you are most comfortable finishing. But if I had to pick, I would go with the first one.

5. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I think all of them will depend on how they're told. 2 is a twist on the Pygmalion story and as it has been retold a number of times it's probably going to be decided by the 'telling' rather then just the idea. Both 1 & 3 sound like they'd be quite interesting. As for which one's best, I'd go with the advice of others and try a little of them all (or mix 1&3 ;) ).

6. CommonGoods

CommonGoods New Member

The problem is that all three could turn into great stories, but my guess is you already knew that. Another guess is that you already have picked your favourite by now, so just go with that one.

I suggest you read "Lolita" by Nabokov and "Disgrace" by Coetzee. Two excelent books which deal with roughly the same problems (and mental break downs) you describe.

7. devalois

devalois New Member

The problem is that I have trouble finishing all of them. I've never started #3 but thought it might be interesting to try. My boyfriend and I were talking about how, in #2, it is hard to make the artist non-flat, since many fairy tale characters are not only people but symbols.

Mixing those would be interesting! I might just try it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Whichever of the story ideas you personally are most inspired by, write it up and do what you can with it!

9. architectus

architectus Banned

Perhaps mix 1 and 2. His obsession with the wooden girlmdestroyed his mind and work. This way when she does come to life, we are unsure if it is real, or if it is do to his unstable mind. You can decide by the end when she kills him if she is real or not. If unreal, then he somehow killed himself in his state of delusion. If real then I think the only way to pull it off is with magic. Nothing wrong with a world that is magical. Perhaps he is so obsessed with her he goes to a bizarre shop and speaks with a voodoo priestess or something. She warns him of the dangers but answers his request and does some ritual. Later on back at the house the wooden woman comes to life. Again though we are not sure if it is real, or if he imagined it. I like that idea.

10. Emerald

Emerald New Member

I agree with ol' Codger. Less talk, more write.

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I think the first one sounds more realistic.
    But the second one, depending on how well you write it, could be a very interesting story and would make a good art-house film with Johnny depp :D
    Hah.
    I agree with the above though, Just pick the one that sounds most exciting to you and start writing. If it doesnt work out, switch ideas.
    All writing is good writing - as long as you improve along the way.

12. Citadel.Baby

Citadel.Baby New Member

I bet if you revised number two a bit, you could find a way to make it not sound to corny. You said somthing about Venus. Many gods would change form and disguise as humans.(or statues, if you wanted) It would be delivered by an unknown man( another disguised god, i guess), and this could be one way to bring the statue venus to life. :)