Age Group for Stories with animals

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by GoodSeed, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It's not worth arguing, but there doesn't have to be only one reason for something. Stories and movies and art of all kinds are often multi-layered and have lots of meanings embedded. That's why it can frequently be analyzed like dreams and reveal whole complexes of layered symbolism. Like I say, I haven't read it or seen the movie, so I don't know. It's possible it only has one very simple surface layer of meaning. That does happen sometimes.

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I don’t really want to get into an argument either, but I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t think Adams was necessarily trying to get around something, or make something more palatable, as his main reason for writing the story with rabbits instead of humans. The rabbitness of its characters is essential to the story, and I think that’s a relevant point for the thread—an animal story doesn’t have to be just a circumvention of certain limitations that might apply for whatever reason to human characters.

Xoic likes this.
  3. pipa4

pipa4 New Member

Hi all, new to the forum. i wrote a "childrens book" for ages 8+ and i do have animals in it. Come to think of it, its not really a childrens book at all :) my plot is somewhat complex and layered so by using animals takes the severity of it down a notch. i was worried about the same thing until i gave it to a 10 year old to read it, and he loved it. hope this helps.