1. willow brooke

willow brooke New Member

Ageing granny seeks solace with other lunatic writers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by willow brooke, Jul 8, 2009.

So here goes...........I'm old and decrepit with seven children and seven grandchildren a case of tried it once and quite liked it so kept going :eek:.

No seriously , I have three children all grown up and four grown up stepchildren as well .
    My seven grandchildren have come from just three of the overall seven , so taking into account that most parents have two or three kids ......... this means by the time I kick the bucket I'll have around twenty one grandchildren all hoping to get there hands on some of my stuff :p mmmmmm, note to ones self : Before One goes to meet ones maker place mousetraps in all bags, suitcases and other interesting places ones kids might just nose through , that'll teach the little b*****s !!!!!!!

As a disabled person who is marriage to not just a disabled man but an amputee to boot , silly person feel into a saw when building a boat ........and yes, the fingers DID still keep moving across the floor with no hand attached to them eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww:eek: my life is somewhat different to most of you .
    In December 2008 my son of just 18 was diagnosed with my own rare condition , in my heart I already knew this as he had been showing signs of it since he was just four years old , poor lad cant even drink now and will like myself have to adjust to a life of drugs, pain and laying flat out in bed for days at a time watching the T.V , dvds or writing on the computer waited on hand and foot by ones other half.
    My wonderful one handed , leg, knee and ankle braced husband tries to keep me happy when I have a major attack by bringing up to me nice meals, lots of assorted drinks , bowl of cream ice-cream, magazines and the occasional visitor , that is if I'm awake ............OMG life is just so hard ( cough........cough) :rolleyes:
    And also holds my hair when I'm sicking up in the loo for the eighteenth time , picks me up off the floor when my legs have given way and I've dropped like a stone, helps me take my vast amount of drugs ( over 30 assorted ) when the pain is so bad I just want to curl up and die and holds me when my heart pain is like an alien about to burst out of my chest and I'm going shades of white, blue, grey and black while we wait for an ambulance to arrive .
    My life is great and I thank God every single day that I wake up , can still stand , take a breath and see, well almost.

As the proud owner of two jet black fluffy bottomed critters one called Sophia Loren as she is quite Italian looking and rather aloft with that 'are you talking to me ' look and the ' do you really expect me to eat that ? , well alright if you must feed me salmon ' who is the great old age of just eighteen months now . And the second one is the smallest hooligan to hit our village, a rather small mean black all claws and very little voice .....Harley Davidson aged a cool fourteen weeks and who is scared of his own shadow, the fridge cooling down , the loo being flushed and my husband farting !

So , what more could a girl ( tongue in cheek here guys) want from life ?
    I have a nice cottage by a river , by the sea.
    I work with my family on a volunteer basis helping to raise money for a charity and I'm hope to one day finish two books , the first being 'Laugh I nearly wet the bed' and the second being 'Brotherhood of the wolf' mmmmmmmmm I've always liked the idea of being a were wolf so I could go and bite the ex-husband , well wished do come true sometimes , dont they ?????

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Welcome to the WF!! There's a great community here and I can bet you'll like it. I think you will get along with maia, who's a life veteran (no offense meant maia, please don't kill me :D).

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Willow, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Hey! You're younger than I am, so easy with the "old and decrepit" talk! ;)

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Wintersmith

Wintersmith New Member

Hello Willow Brooke,

That was quite an introduction! Thank you for sharing so much with us.

My heart goes out to you regarding your son and his recent diagnosis. I can fully empathize with what it must feel like to see a love one diagnosed with a new medical issue, especially when you've suspected that the issue is there.

Your own condition, and that of your husband, appears to be something you have come to terms with and can even laugh about. I salute your attitude and spirit! I don't know what I would do in a similar state.

I do look forward to seeing what you have to say. I'm of the belief that you're never too old to start something new, but I work with a lot of people who are designing circuit boards and microchips well into their seventies. At the age of 53 you're not old yet. :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you only spake [wrote] the truth, marcelo!... not to worry, anyway, as i'm an anti-violence activist...

welcome, willow!
    i actually do have 7 kids, but i have 17 grands, not just 7... with twins on the way making a grand total [forgive the inadvertant double entendre] of 19!

drop me a line if you ever need to chat about how to survive it all...

love and hugs, maia

6. Myopic Chihuahua

Myopic Chihuahua Banned

Welcome! I think that's the best introduction I've seen here!

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome to our own little hideaway from the world and unfinished manuscripts.

8. willow brooke

willow brooke New Member

Thank you so much kind ladies and gentleman for your warm welcome to the site , I hope to spend many a night /early mornings wandering about having a nose here and there getting to know you all.
    (I'm up five out of seven nights a week because of chronic legs pains when I lay down at night , worst luck )

PLEASE NOTE:

If at times I seem to write in a somewhat strange manner , nothing makes sense or my spelling , grammar or even the whole dam lot I've written just doesn't make sense at all er ............in fact a right load of rubbish , do not worry , I have not lost the plot , yet !!!!!
    The medical condition I have makes me do some very strange things without knowing I'm doing it.
    The condition I have which is called 'Postural Orthocadic Tachycardia Syndrome ' or POTS for Short is part of the brain that controls every part of your bodies functions and basically its 'playing games with me ' generally making my life and that of my sons one of interest and amusement to the public and I am well known for my 'very interesting and somewhat amusing speeches 'in which I can change my voice and become another person , without being aware of it ...........you-what ?????

I always try to spell and grammar check everything I write but if what you see looks right and reads right well you think of course it is right ..........nope, not in my case !!!!!!!

And its isn't just writing things either , I can talk complete sentences backwards without knowing it and then stand like a fool wondering why everyone else is looking at me like I've just escaped from the loony bin ! ,
    This can be most disconcerting as I give out prizes at schools, make speeches at charity events and am generally in the public's eye quite a lot .
    Whats even worse than that ????
    My throat contracting completely out of the blue , if your eating or drinking at the time this can lead to the most awful choking fits and on many an occasion I've been found on the floor with hubby or son , with what appear to outsiders looks like they are beating the hell out of me for no apparent reason , when in fact they are trying to dislodge food or drink and turn my now blue/black face to a nice shade of pink again .......bless them .
    And the peiceder resistance ?
    When my throat contacts when I'm talking ..........OMG I sound like a transvestite ( no disrespect meant if you happen to be a transvestite by the way ) but this also causes many a strange face from people and a quick look up and down to see if I really am a woman or not .

Yes, I think you can honestly say life in my house is never dull, never boring and definitely not the norm .
    Check out my album if you want to see more and meet the family , I've also started to put in a few pictures of the four legged loves of my life , that is when the dam system lets me and stops telling me that a 'security token is missing ' errrrrrrrrrrr, you -what ,

Willows.