Aircraft and bad weather

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lifeline, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Scorpion02Tyr

Scorpion02Tyr New Member

You're very welcome! I was a flight engineer on C-130's for the USAF. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have. If I don't know the answer I know few hundred people who might!

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Maurice Colbert

Maurice Colbert New Member

3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

You know, I just might do that. Expect a PM in due time (probably a week or two) ;)

Scorpion02Tyr likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Every time I see this thread my inner pedant screams it's aircraft, not aircrafts , one aircraft , many aircraft... :brb:

too much coffee and budgetting...

5. Lifeline

:supercool: you do know your english :D

6. Maurice Colbert

Maurice Colbert New Member

As some have indicated, it depends on the intended use. I currently work on Sikorsky helicopters and they can be configured to operate in certain extreme weather conditions (cold, hot, or turbulent storms) structural design and performance (power) limitations will dictate the extent in which they can operate. Even though I am a helicopter guy, I think heavy-duty fixed-wing aircraft such as the one Scorpion02Tyr has mentioned, are better suited to operate in extreme weather conditions and high altitude regions. I recommend Googling "hurricane hunters", "NOAA hurricane hunters", "best search and rescue helicopters/airplanes" and that should give you a good idea of the different types of aircraft that are being used for all sorts of extreme weather operations....hope this helps.

Scorpion02Tyr and Lifeline like this.
  7. Lifeline

Yep, it does! Will get down to it, thanks for the google-terms :)

8. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Ice increases the friction over the wing, causing both increased drag, and a tendency for the airflow to separate from the wing early and transition to turbulent flow, causing a premature stall, which is the real hazard, especially when it happens at low altitudes or in a turn, which otherwise out to be safe.

Lifeline likes this.
  9. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

roll back icing is the worst stuff I ever saw. The leading edge of the wing usually has a heated portion (jets mostly) or in smaller planes, (turboprops/propeller) a rubber inflatable portion that breaks ice off so it can fly through the known weather like that. The semi-frozen, or freezing rain, can slide back from that heated/inflatable leading edge and freeze farther back where the ice can't break off and the plane now has to lug that around until it either melts in warmer air ( outside the weather area) or lands. A plane suddenly becoming over weight or/and both out of balance because of that ice can be a result. That unforcasted result sucked for 40 minutes one morning. It looked like popcorn ceilings on both the top and bottom of the wing.

Lifeline likes this.