1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Alain Robbe-Grillet on form

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by peachalulu, Mar 13, 2014.

Was reading an essay by Grillet on form and thought I'd share a few bits. It's really interesting to see another perspective after Elizabeth Bowen, especially if you know how avant-garde Grillet is. While Bowen's advice can speak to every writer, Grillet is a little more unconventional.
    I agree with this to a point. Usually when I sit down to write a story, I'm more concerned with the angle I'm going to take writing it than the actual plot which can bloom from this.

This is actually quite enlightening. Coming from a family of artists and having met a lot of artists, I can see clearly what he means when message can come in and cloud the work. The work is most brilliant when the artist is not out to make a message but it's organically his - his feelings, his emotions, his beliefs - they eep out naturally. But when he's striving to make a message the work can become compromised as the artist becomes more concerned with being not only understood but agreed with.

Okay, this is a bit of a gloomy mind-blower, peppered with Grillet's politics. Don't know if I agree with all of it. Abandoning form is difficult to say the least and I've read some of Grillet novel's they're different, but not exactly page-turners - lol. But he's got an intriguing concept nonetheless. And I've been dying to check out Nathalie Sarrute's Tropisms.

If you want to check out the essay - I think it can be found in Google books by typing in Alain Robbe-Grillet On Several Obsolete Ideas. They'll give you sample pages but I think the whole thing can be read.