1. Alia

Alia New Member

Alia's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Alia, Sep 27, 2017.

I've been brainstorming quite a bit the past week.

I know a lot of people base there first stories off what they are familiar with, so I am kind of doing that. I am in the process of world-building a High-tech steampunk utopian epic fantasy with a some dark themes. The main character is a lesbian her love interest is bisexual, they both have aquired names and have physical and mental descriptions. I am working on other diverse characters, including a humanoid bartender. This will be my first ever novel.

The opening scene might be changed or omitted entirely as I continue building the world around the main character

Most of my notes on the plot, characters, setting, world, culture are scrambled on pieces of paper in notebooks

I am thinking of adding more to the intro or opening paragragh giving the reader a better idea of where the main character is (within a dream), after all that is an important part of the plot.

Anyways, I will only be posting progress as far as word count, specks of inspiration, and thoughts on this whole process throughout writing this fantasy story to be.

Any thoughts on my progress are welcome.

2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Good luck.

-OJB

3. Alia

Alia New Member

Wrote 400 words yesterday. My goal is to write atleast 400 words a day. Have not wrote anything today but I did draw a world map and formed some ideas around politics.

I've been finding that coming up with details before hand makes me less creative in the process of writing. So I think I am just going to stick to writing the story for a bit, especially since I only have about 600 words write now.

4. Alia

Alia New Member

Wrote another 400 words today. Keep it going!

I wrapped up the introduction, this could be the first chapter...maybe. I also might add more descriptive language to the flow of words.

5. Alia

Alia New Member

I've written exactly 1,787 words and I am contemplating what needs fixing, what needs to be added, etc. I debated on sharing the first 1,787 for critique I'm just not sure if I want yet, It would be nice to get some criticism from someone other than my uncle though.

Still need to do another 200 words or so today, it should be easy enough.

I also need to develop my characters, outline, and answer some questions that were provoked in the first chapter/pages.

I also have a question; Does anyone know any places where I can post my story and get comments, reviews, and possibly if my story grows on people enough land a publishing deal. I head of wattpad, but I am terrible at making covers, maybe I will just have to duke it out and post my story on there. So basically I am asking; Are there any high traffic novel websites where I can post my story? YouTube for stories basically. I am still decided if I want to do this, but it is my first novel so it might serve me well.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Once you meet the minimum criteria (14 days, 20 posts, 2 items of crit given for every one posted for) the workshop section here is a good place for comments/crit etc .... you can also use our collab forum to find a writing partner/alpha reader etc

On the latter point its not a great idea to post your whole novel on a high traffic site because that constitutes publishing and makes it difficult to then sell first rights

KiloBravo likes this.
  7. Alia

Alia New Member

Awesome, this is good to know. Especially the last part since one of my first concerns was on selling rights to a publisher. Once I meet the minimum I will look into the workshop. Thank you.

Stormburn likes this.
  8. Alia

Alia New Member

Yesterday I managed to reach 2,660 words.

I plan on outlining some more, changing/adding some scenes, adding and omitting descriptions. Write now I am just writing I guess, although i don't want to be too picky with my wording I also don't want it to be boring. I told myself to write down any ideas, that I might want to add later. Also, this is my first novel, so it will be interesting to finish it. That is my only goal right now, finish my first novel.

9. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Member

Good luck.

10. big soft moose

another thing i'd recomend is to start a progress journal (in our cunningly name "progress journals" section - I found sharing my progress (or the lack of it) motivated me to finish my first draft (105k and change words)

ETA Oh FFS we're in progress journals *bangs head on wall* Ignore me, it's been a long day

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  11. Alia

Alia New Member

For some reason I can't friggin' edit the fact that I used the word write instead of right. That's what happens when you only thing about writing. Anyways...I wrote nothing yet today. I am a bit demotivated and I don't really know why. Still early enough to start writing fortunately. Gotta push through...

I feel the same way, but its still early. I just don't feel motivated. It sucks.

12. big soft moose

you'll be able to edit when you cross 20 posts and two weeks - the prohibition on new members editing their posts is an anti spam thing , nothing personal.

I forgot to say above that if you want to short circuit the 20 posts/two weeks thing for access to the workshop you can purchase supporter membership - be aware that the 2 given for 1 posted rule still applies