1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Am I considered "different"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Apr 23, 2012.

The vast majority of teenagers around my age (19) all seem to be into tattoo's, piercings, etc. Personally, I've never understood the appeal and I genuinely don't like that type of stuff and don't understand why so many teenagers are so enticed by it. Every time I visit my local mall, I regularly see crowds of teenagers hanging out and they all seem to have the same piercings, same identical tattoo's, not to mention they all listen to the same bands as well. I just wonder, am I considered different because I don't like that type of stuff? I would honestly never consider getting any piercings or tattoo's down the line and I'm pretty certain of that. It just seems to be becoming more increasingly prevalent and I'm just glad I'm not jumping on the bandwagon and joining the masses and doing what they are. And the funny thing is, they probably like all of these things just because other people do. So yeah..

2. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

You're just not a follower. That's a good thing. You most be comfortable about who you are, if you're not worried about what others think. You got a good shot a doing big things, if you want.

3. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

It is a long long time since I was a teenage but I have never viewed tattoos as attractive or desirable. I do have my ears pierced although now, I rarely wear earrings.

With a lot of the pop stars and celebrities both male and female being into body art, it seems to be a popular trend. What gets me is that a young, fresh, crease-less body can get away with almost anything; what about the future when the young body ages I wonder what will their tattoos look like then.

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Get yourself one of those t-shirts saying: "They laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at them because they are all the same".
    There's a huge range of normal, just some types are more visible than others. Being yourself is what's important.

1 person likes this.
  5. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Thank you very much for your wonderful input. That is very encouraging to hear. I guess you are right. I am very comfortable being in my own skin, and I don't really have much of a desire to stand out and be noticed and I just like being myself. I'm very happy about that!

6. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

I'm not like that either, have never liked them. Tattoos, piercings, and all that, they're stupid and pointless, they ruin the body.
    Trying to be like others is wrong and bad. People differ, as they should. It is good to see oneself and others as they really are.
    As said before, know yourself and be yourself. Unless you're an actor/actress, of course.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you are 'different' be glad of the fact and revel in it!

8. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Well, I don't have a single tattoo or piercing.

At my gym I see a lot of normally sane suburban women with numerous tattoos, from tramp stamps to tribal ones, and with more holes than a liberal's promise. I cannot figure it out.

My take on this is that tattoos no longer mean what they once did. It's like make-up. For example, one time I saw a guy at the gym with a spiderweb tattoo on his elbow. Naturally, I asked him where he served time in prison.

The guy was a realtor, and freaked.

9. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

I have a tendency to avoid things you can't easily undo or might live to regret. So far it's worked well for me.

It's funny how being happy about who your are makes each day enjoyable. You don't even mind looking in the mirror once in a while.

10. Cristian

Cristian Member

Be proud of who you are, really. Don't join the flock of sheep, if you know what I mean.

11. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Surprisingly, that is the purpose of tattoos. They record a moment in time. Like the designation of the military group in which you served. Our in my case, the years with an organization.

Granted it's not mandatory, some people are fanatics about pictures and movies to document the events in their lives. And in some circles, a tattoo can either save your life, or end it.

12. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Whatever, we are all “different” and “special” but in the end we all breathe the same air, bleed the same color blood, and we all die in the end.

13. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I hope for their sake you don't mean that literally. Piercings can be removed, and taste in music will change. But tattoo's are very hard to remove. Even if you do, it'll cost a lot of money and can be quite painful. (or so I've heard, though I don't have any tattoo' myself yet.) I don't mind tattoo's, and I have been thinking of getting one myself. But if I were to do it, I would need one I really want, not one someone else wants. It would have to mean something to me. (and not one of the "joke" tattoo's with asian letters you think mean Peace, Love or something like that, but actually means something quite rude.) :p

The point is you might be different from the rest of the kids, but so what? Being different is good. As an example, I go to the hospital three times a week to have my blood cleaned. (no big deal, don't worry.) But for me to be able to do that, there are over a dozen different people involved. There's the taxi driver who takes me there, the doctor who checks my tests and adjust my meds, treatment and all that, the nurse who connectes me to the machine and so on. Then there's the cleaning lady who makes sure the room is clean, the janitor who makes sure things are working, the police officer who makes sure traffic flows as it should, the people who makes the machine, the people who makes the parts for the machine so the other guys can put it together, the people who make my meds, the people who do this, the people who do that and so on. And there's me, right in the middle of it. If I didn't get the treatment, no one else would have anything to do. We are all part of the big picture. As I told a dear friend, it doesn't matter if you are making a puzzle with 10 pieces of 5.000 pieces. If even one piece is missing, the picture will be incomplete.

14. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Move down south, you'll fit in just fine.

Personally, I like my tattoos, they have meaning to me. But I will agree with the fact while the acceptance has been growing, the actual meaning and point behind permanently inking your skin has been lost or hidden.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I hate tattoos. In my mind, there is no such thing as a tattoo that improves a person's appearance. People who get tattoos just get uglier. Would you spray-paint graffiti on Michelangelo's David? Would you then say, "Now THAT is art!"? You'd be arrested for ruining something that was beautiful.

16. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

I don't think you're different whether you followed them or not. And probably are not different for this pat-me-on-the-back post ;)

Just because you like to do something that others are doing doesn't necessarily make you a follower or a groupie in the bad sense. Maybe they are friends and you like to have fun and be a part of the fun. I can understand if it really wasn't you're thing though. Peer pressure is even worse among friends cause you certainly don't want to alienate them, but it takes some real resolve to say no and mean it and it's a test of that friendship if they can accept you for it.

17. mVd

mVd Member

I would join in with the others and say be proud that you are not one of those mindless sheep who just does whatever is considered "normal" or "cool" by the masses, except in the cases that the previous poster said. That just shows you have self-confidence and self-respect which are admirable traits i would say. That is all.

18. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Gee whiz, the world has changed since I was a teenager (which wasn't that long ago, I think). Sure there were kids with tattoos and piercings, but they were in no way the majority, not even close. Most of the people I knew thought it might me cool or whatever, but such things were considered too extreme to actually indulge in. As was my opinion.

Or maybe this is just an American thing. I can't believe most teenagers nowadays get tattoos.

Americans...

Hehe.

19. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

I don't know, depends where you live, really.

Though, my mother has a tattoo from when she was a teenager. Mind you, a butterfly the size of a thumbnail on the inside of her ankle, but she had it from when she was... 16.

But what I'm wondering now is what the age of these 'teenagers' are? Because, I don't know about other states, but in Texas you have to be 18 or older or have a parent with you at 16 or older.

20. Skodt

Skodt New Member

I think it's still a minority who have tattoo's and peircings. I myself have both and enjoy them. I have a sleeve no one else I know has one. I like the way they look when done right. The unique art a person has lets you see their personality a little bit. I have tattoos no one else has, because I made them myself before letting a professional tattoo them on. Peircings are another thing I like the way they look and feel. To each their own, but to the ones calling them stupid and ugly is just close minded. To say negative things about people with tattoos without knowing the person is just judging a book by its cover.

1 person likes this.
  21. NeedMoreRage

NeedMoreRage New Member

We are all manipulated by the media and by the trends. In one way or another, our image is changed. Don't think you are above that influence.

You'll be much happier if you find similarities between yourself and others, by the way. So shunning being the same and embracing being unique is not always going to make you happier. Just saying...

22. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

An ex-detective once told me about someone who was always in trouble for something or other- he was known as ffo kcuf, he had done a 'do it yourself' tattoo, on his own forehead, with a pen and ink while looking through a mirror - in case you have not noticed the words came out backwards.

23. Question

Question Active Member

Yeah but even though things may try to influence your choices doesn't mean you have to succumb to them. I think your underestimating the power of free will.(unless you don't believe in free will but that's a different matter). I don't believe people should follow a crowd to just fit in. We'd live in a pretty bland society if everyone did that. Besides if your a writer aren't you already breaking from social norms.

Anyways to get back on point I personally like tattoos and wouldn't mind getting one if It was significant of something(I believe this very discussion was on another thread). But If you don't like them then I say don't get one and don't care what everybody thinks.

24. shaylyn

shaylyn New Member

I wish I could "like" Skodt's post.

25. Leia

Leia Member

Agree w/ shaylyn, and Skodt. (I'm a painted lady myself) But if tattoos, piercings, and whatnot aren't your thing why would that even worry you? Be glad you've grown up in the age of the internet. We didn't have the internet in my house until I was around 14-15, and I thought I was a mutant because I was a girl who loved Star Wars, and gaming. There's literally a world full of people that have the same likes and dislikes as you, at your fingertips.

Also, if you ask a website full of writers if you're weird...well...that's like asking the blind if the sky is blue. Writers are just weirdos w/ the ability to channel it linguistically. ;)