1. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

All about reactions

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Capslock, Mar 30, 2019.

I like the idea of a book that has many reactions, emotions, cliff hangers. I’d like the reader to feel various emotions throughout, painted pictures through words.

I do confess, I don’t read much. Do any of you know of an author that has the ability to engage the audience?

I like the idea of blending poetry, adventure, surrealism.

Your thoughts?

jannert likes this.
  2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

1. You develop by reeading, writing and living life.

Read at least a book a week. Along with that you can listen to books and watch them as movies, tv-series and Youtube clips.

2. Most best sellers have done it. That is why they are best sellers.

Many classics have done it. That is partly why they are classics.

Books with lots of fans have done it. That is why they have fans.

I like humour. So I could give you a short list like this:

- Giovanni Guareshi
    - Terry Pratchett
    - Carl Hiaasen
    - Tom Sharpe
    - Gerald Durrell
    - P.G. Vodehouse
    - Scott Adams
    - Douglas Adams
    - Coscinny & his pairs (Tabary, Uderzo...)
    - Donald E. Westlake
    - Roald Dahl
    - James Herriot
    - Mike Pilavachi
    - Anthony de Mello
    - Arto Paasilinna
    - Kari Hotakainen
    - Rex Stout
    - Richard Feynman
    - Edgar Wallace (Sandi series)
    - Alexander McCall Smith
    - Astrid Lindgren
    - Mihail Bulgakov...

If you don't read much, everything in that list is both easy to read + rewarding.

mrtickle likes this.
  3. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

I’ve read a few of them. Especially Douglas Adams. He is one of the only who can make me laugh out loud from reading. Will look up these recommendations

4. Whitepaws

Whitepaws Member

Reactions/Emotions - sounds like Swain's Sequel will be your best friend. Have a look at Secrets of a Bestselling Writer (Swain's book) or Scenes and Sequels by Mike Klaassen. Klaassen's book is like an updated version for the modern reader of Swain's classic. Still, both are excellent. Klaassen also covers how to do the cliffhanger using Scene + Sequels.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You say you don't read much. Who, besides Douglas Adams, do you enjoy reading? Give us an idea of what you're shooting for, and we can probably be of more help.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  6. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

Thanks for responding,

I’m gonna order a book called ‘blood maridian’ perhaps you heard of it? The knowledge I have of this book is that there are many moments that capture the reader, without importance on plot.

I want my reader to have the rolodex of emotions. In no exact order,, Like holly shit moments, many purpley poetic events, a bit of Native American spiritualism (not religious), there will be a type of evil happening (but not religious devil in hell type) weird fiction, a bit about wizards, very metaphorical, maybe voodoo, some surrealism, some beautiful moments, some heart break, and a bit of mysteriousness.

My only road block at this time, is I’m not sure what type of journey the MC needs to do in order to experience these things. I have lots of material to be thick with events. Just no road map or actual outline.

What type of journey shall all these things take place?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  7. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello, friend. :superhello:

Well, the first advice I will give you is read. But read what you like and interests you, don't go with the follow if it is the best author or not, that will only distract you. Then research cultures for you get inspiration, pay attention to details that you will use in your world, for you to undersalted how the society works, behaviour, traditions, myths, etc. With this, your MC should have certain mannerisms, and a start to his journey. At this point you should have a map in your head, draw if you need even if your drawing skills aren't like an artist, draw for you to understand.

Now my second advice. While you are writing don't worry too much if your chapter is perfect, never will be. It's your first draft after all, and the majority of your content will be crap, and that's fine because mine is as well but least I am writing, experimenting with ideas. And speaking of experimenting, NEVER and I mean, never be afraid of change or change stuff or better yet, starting over again. Let me give my example. In my fanfic project, Bond, my first draft between Taric and Ezreal something happened between them. I tried to force the plot to move, but it was impossible and then I asked myself: 'Will these characters do this now?' And guess what my answer was no. So I start over again their story. But even my second draft wasn't enough to explore what I wanted, not to mentioned I had to improve my English. Then I asked the member from this forum that critiqued my project a simple question: if you were a publisher, how you would like to see their story? Because my idea is to explore how their relationship grows with time, and not doesn't happen from day to night, takes time. Then the member gave some advice, but the one that quicked m,e was starting from the beginning. It made sense and still does. How did they meet? And believe that advice was the best I have received, it helps me realise that was what I was looking for.

Examples:
    Tolkien
    George R.R. Martin
    Neil Gaiman
    Joseph Delaney (The Spook's series)
    Ryo Muraki (In the Miso Soup)

I hope this helps. Keep on good work and have fun. :superagree:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  8. GrJs

GrJs Active Member

Matthew Reily - His style is concise but extremely visual and provoking along with the occasional funny moment. I suggest starting at Ice Station, his best in my opinion.