1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

What Would Make More Sense?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Nov 4, 2016.

In my story there is this massive Super Hero Organization (like in Justice League Unlimited) however there is something that is bothering me I don't know what makes more sense should this organization have a sort of exam to filter out new recruits or would it be more plausible for them to have an academy/university for potential members?

Essentially the Exam is like a series of trials at different locations and the participants have to pass each one to become a member. I feel like that would be to unrealistic though because anyone with enough skills and brains can pass a simple exam and just handing a random participant a license to enforce justice for winning can be dangerous and irresponsible. However an academy seems way to far fetched but at the same time it would be a more efficient way of vetting potential heroes and getting a good idea of their true mental state and intentions.

However my problem with the academy angle is I don't know if I should play it as a school like in X Men but with a college theme or if I should make it something akin to Quantico?

2. Scot

Scot Senior Member

Or have them sponsored/supported by a similarly gifted superhero, a bit like a Star Wars Padawan.

TheDarkWriter likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd say selection (exam) is plausible - if you look at real world military every special forces unit has a selection procedure - where they are drawn from varies.

Wreybies likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

... and even after selection there is a training process (academy) and many do not make the final cut. I think a hybrid of both is the most real-world execution.

I'll give you my own personal example:

I was a military interpreter. The school for military interprets in America is the DLIFLC (Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center). In the world of interpreters, both military and civilian, the school is highly, highly regarded and spectacularly rigorous. Not just anyone who joins the military can attend. You have to first take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery). It's America; we looooooove our acronyms over here. ;) The DLAB is not passable by just anyone with a decent brain. Parts of it are completely bizarre and seem to make no sense at all. The entire test is designed to gauge a person's capacity to learn another language, another "code", if you will. Very few pass. Once you do pass the DLAB then you get to go to the DLIFLC. Even with the DLAB as a filter the attrition rate at the school is wicked. My class had an almost 70% attrition.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Make sense to me - the army is one long training process, if you aren't fighting you are training to fight.

For a league of super heroes you'd assume it would be much the same , even if their powers are fully developed and for new entrants they might not be, they'd still need training to gel as a unit and learn to work together - may be like the Xmen first class , rather than like the xaiver school for the gifted

6. Evian

Evian Banned

I would maybe do a variation of what they did in Sky High. Where everyone had a test, where they had to use their powers to save themselves... then they were graded on their powers into hero's or sidekickes. You could of course add a few layers to the process, have them test the heroes ability to think on their feet and so on. You could also have heroes' sidekicks' wash outs... to limit your influx of people.