1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

King of toilet paper!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NaCl, Apr 30, 2008.

Hi folks,

New to this forum. Been writing fishing articles for an outdoors magazine for many years, and last year I decided to publish my first novel. This writing effort brought me into another forum by a similar name, WritingFourms.com, where I enjoyed seeking advice and camaraderie. I don't know what happened to that other organization but it suddenly can't be accessed so I searched for other options...which landed me here.

I look forward to learning a great deal as I refine my skills and "suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous" authorship! Yes, I have already begun the ego-smashing endeavor of papering my walls with rejection slips! LOL! If nothing else positive comes of my writing fling, at the very least, I'll come away with a lifetime supply of toilet paper! Oops...did my jaundiced attitude about editors slip to the surface?

.....NaCl

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello NaCl, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

So would you characterize yourself as an old salt? You might enjoy a new collaborative fiction project in the Review Room -> Novels forum, called the Captain's Table.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

4. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hello NaCI...Welcome to The Writing Forums!!!

5. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey there :) Welcome to WF.org.

6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you've managed to find your way here.

So you're trying to get something published? A novel? What's it about? :p

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome to the forums.

8. NaCl

Hi Daniel,

Good to meet you.

I am preparing to self-publish a 140,000 word sci-fi novel titled "The Last Human War". I did a test market at a local university, using excerpts from the story. I wanted to see if it would be received favorably in my target market....Trekkie-types, computer geeks and similar personalities. The response was overwhelmingly positive, with virtually all of the respondents asking when the book would be available.

At the same time, I sent query letters to numerous lit agents to see if any would bite. Of course, I know the warnings, so I expected nothing...and that's exactly what I got. "Sorry, we're too busy with our established authors to take on any new writers at this time." I took that to mean - "If you're not already successful, don't waste our time."

It became glaringly obvious that publication rested solely on my shoulders...yes, the dreaded "self-publishing"; complete with all the derision from the arrogant traditional publishing world. By the way, I am amused by the angst of the traditional publishers about new, creative competition for prospective readers/buyers. E-zines, e-books, non-traditional deep discount book stores, self-publishing companies that steal their SUCCESSFUL authors by offering greater profits, etc. It's no wonder they suffer against these new venues! Ironically, their own lack the vision keeps editors wearing blinders, as they plod down "traditional" paths without veering into new territory.

Sorry for the editorializing...back to my book. I rejected POD and vanity press, as neither approach generates a book at a low enough price to be profitable. Instead, I purchased my own book of ISBN numbers, set up a brand new "publishing" company, contracted an independent graphic/cover artist, hired a copy editor, negotiated a very competitive printing/binding contract and, finally, I am presently working with an internet website developer in New York to set up an e-commerce enabled website.

Yes, it cost me but I have been an entrepeneur for over 30 years. If an author truly believes he or she has written a compelling story, then why not put the book on the market...and let the buying public decide! I'm willing to risk my own money on the readers decision.

By the way, I have been a regularly published author for 15 years in a completely different area (writing bass fishing articles for an outdoors magazine). This is my first venture into writing novels. The first book I'm bringing to market will be released by the end of this month. It's sequel is scheduled for December. Another book, a war-action story set in Vietnam in 1969, will be on the market in late September. I also have a cookbook (Kids, Pancakes & Sunday Mornings) that I wrote over 20 years ago and has already sold several thousand copies without any formal "publishing"...it was just printed locally and spiral bound. I'm planning to make it "official" and add it to my website later this year.

Truthfully, I have no idea if this adventure will succeed or fail, perhaps failing miserably. But, I am NOT willing to spend a year begging literary agents to annoint my query letter with their blessing, only to be offered a paltry "advance" for a book that I will be responsible myself to promote. If I must do most of the sales-work myself, then why not get paid $4.00 per $10 book, than to receive $0.37 per book AFTER I've sold enough to "earn" back my little advance.

Who knows? This time next year, I may be recommending to people in this forum that they learn from my bad experience. I could be advising them to be patient, wait for the lit agent to discover their masterpiece. LOL! We'll see!

.....NaCl

9. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Boy, you must really LOVE Chemistry...lol......hey......

10. NaCl

Actually, hated chemistry in college....but with a last name of "Sault", my internet pseudonym seemed obvious!

.....NaCl

ps You'd be amazed how many people fail to understand the meaning of "Na" & "Cl".

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, I used to BE a chemist - actually was paid to do it. :)

12. NaCl

And now?

.....NaCl

13. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to WF.org. I hope that you find your time here both pleasant and enjoyable.
    Take your time to look around and get to know the rules and the way the forum works. Also don't forget to check out the poetry and short story competitions. We currently have two running, along with the major short story contest where there is a cash prize.
    On behalf of the reviewers, I would just like to let you know that if you would like a review of your work and have not received one, or you would like further reviews, just send one of us a PM and we would be more than happy to take a look as soon as we have the time.
    There are lots of areas to get involved in, joint writing ventures, discussions all over the place and our community lounge where we can chat about anything in life, within reason.
    Any questions, there are plenty of us around to ask. Our moderator base are very friendly and extremely helpful and always there if they are needed.
    So all that out the way, have fun and see you around the boards.
    Torana