1. TheDankTank

TheDankTank Member

Allow me to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheDankTank, May 24, 2017.

Hello. Thanks for bothering to read this. I'm a high school student in a boring, small town in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Friends? Nope. Aspirations? None worth talking about here. Interests besides writing, reading and video games? None really.
    I'm not a very interesting person, but I try to write interesting things as a way of escaping my otherwise dull life. Ever since I was 10 I have been inventing worlds, drawing maps and timelines, and creating histories of totally fake universes. It's a hobby of mine, I suppose. I'm not a great writer, but I hope to get better. Since English class consists of reading boring books like The Catcher in the Rye (overrated) and writing literary essays about them discussing lofty themes that usually have very little to do with the actual book, I decided to turn to one of my oldest friends- the internet.
    That's how I arrived here. Weary from the virtual road and the trials and tribulations of the actual road, but ready to become a better writer.
    Pleased to meet you.

2. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Glad to have you here. What books and authors do you enjoy? What would you like to write?

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Greetings, welcome, and salutations to the Forum, sir.:superhello:

Askmetowait.png :supergrin:

TheDankTank, Stormburn and minstrel like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Well, young person, I'll have you know that I'm an actual English teacher, some would say a professor even, and....

I completely agree with you on Catcher in the Rye and making students regurgitate their teachers' opinions on "classic" literature. That book sucks, I've tried and failed to finish it at least three times.

But your life is quiet and ordinary, so you're creating alternate histories in your head? Great! "Write what you know" is useful, to a point, but imagination is what brings us our best stories, so knock yourself out. I look forward to seeing more of what you've got to say, welcome aboard.

5. TheDankTank

TheDankTank Member

I am a huge Tolkein nerd and fan, mostly because of the excellent world-building that he does. Patrick Rothfuss and Mark Lawrence are also quite good, in my opinion at least. I generally enjoy writing more in the fantasy and science fiction genres more than anything else, but really just fiction in general is my area of (extraordinarily) limited expertise.