Tags:
  1. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Alternate chapters/directions?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Hublocker, Mar 1, 2019.

Have you ever tried writing completely different chapters to see where your novel/story is heading?

I'm about 3/4 of the way through a first draft of a novel (at about 65,000 words) and I have just completed one chapter that is left kind of open-ended.

The next chapter could take the novel in any number of directions. I have several options in mind and have started one today, but I was thinking of starting another chapter in exactly the same place to see where that could take us too.

I have a pretty clear idea of the the ending, I'm just working out the middle right now.

2. Paneera

Paneera Banned

Save it in the computer as version 1 and version 2. When you find yourself working on one version more than the other you'll know what's right.

Rzero and Reece like this.
  3. Nir

Nir New Member

On an old and now long discarded draft, I wrote three versions of chapter one. While each had the same beginning, they each ended differently. I don't think it's uncommon to try different ideas and branch out the story or see where the plot can go. After all, as @Paneera said, you might find a piece that fits well with your story.

4. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Not exactly, but several times I've jumped back to insert something, and it spiraled off in a completely different direction, rendering what I had useless. Of course I wouldn't keep it unless it were an improvement, but it usually is.