1. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Writing a guided tour of a fictional wold, viable option or not?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Flashfire07, Oct 22, 2012.

After having taken a break from writing due to a backlog of unfinished work I have recently began writing up a science fiction world with the intention of writing a few stories in this universe. However, as world building is my passion and my written stories tend to be lack luster (I focus too much on plot as opposed to characters) I have written up a large ammount of non-story background information like the culture and society of 8 different alien races. So, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I should ditch the plot elements and simply write a series chronicling the travels of a small group of characters, the focus would be on the interesting locations and creatures they encounter. Is this a good idea or should I try to write a more traditional character and plot oriented work?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no one can tell you if it'll work or not, till you write it...

any idea can be developed into a successful book, by a good writer and nothing can, by a poor one [unless it's sold to an undiscerning bookbuying public by hype alone, sad to say]...

3. JamesOliv

JamesOliv Member

It could be great or it could turn out to be terrible. I have heard book ideas that sound intriguing. Then I read the book and am disappointed with the execution. Likewise, I have heard book ideas that fail to impress me but the author delivers.

So, to echo Maia's sentiments, you should write it and see where it takes you.

4. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

As said above, it's the execution that matters. If you know your world and your character's backgrounds well, that's good. You may not need to tell the reader's all the information you've created as part of your back-story but keeping it in mind will help keep your story cohesive. Some information will filter out through time and some wont.

I wouldn't throw away your plot just so you can convey the full scope of your world. People want plots. If you can find a good balance by moving your plot along while also introducing these worlds, then that's what you should do. A story does need a plot though, otherwise it's a Lonely Planet book on other worlds. Immerse your characters in the worlds and your readers will follow.