1. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Alternatives to CreateSpace/KDP

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by JLT, Jan 28, 2019.

Now that CreateSpace has merged with Kindle Desktop Publishing, I've noticed some rather serious glitches in Amazon's customer service regarding the switchover. Has anybody else noticed this?

Also, are there any alternatives to print-on-demand publishing than CreateSpace that have popped up in the past year? I'm considering moving to another printer/fulfillment source, or at least supplementing what I've got.

I should add that I'm not having any problems with Amazon/CreateSpace payments to my account, as far as I can see.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Ingram Spark are the other main player … you'll need to buy your own ISBN

Draft to digital are supposed to be bringing out a POD service soon but they haven't yet

Lulu were good about 5 years ago but haven't moved with the times

JLT likes this.
  3. JLT

Not a problem. I have my own ISBNs, and I highly recommend that others do, too. That's why I can move my stuff to another POD offerer without consequences.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Although you could anyway since a different ISBN would be required for a new edition in any case

5. JLT

I'm not sure what constitutes a "new edition." If the format and content are the same but the book is merely being printed by a different printer, I believe that the old ISBN can still be used.

6. big soft moose

my understanding is different pod distributor, different isbn

7. JLT

I got my information from Wikipedia, which states that "An ISBN is assigned to each edition and variation (except reprintings) of a book. For example, an ebook, a paperback, and a hardcover edition of the same book would each have a different ISBN"

By this definition, I would think that a book republished in its original format would be a reprint, not a new book. I don't see where it requires that the agency that does the actual physical printing (as opposed to the publisher) be the same as the one that did the original print run.