1. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Discussing Paradisus/ The Imperium of Surmarack

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Pheonix, Aug 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Paradisus/ Imperium of Surmarack discussion thread! Post approved character sheets, questions and concerns here! There's alot to the world of Surmarack, so if you have and questions, feel free to ask!

A couple things I'd like to clarify.

1. What is technology like?

Well, humanity has taken a minimalist approach to technology, finding ways to integrate is seamlessly into their lives without it being conspicuous. Upperclass citizens have implants that preform all the functions of modern phones and tablets. The world appears to be very archaic, but hidden just beneath the surface is a wealth of technological advances, you just don't see it right away. The lower classes, workers, farmers etc. might as well be living in the dark ages. They have very little and next to no access to advanced technology. Alien races each have their own idea about it as well. The Isthus seem to have little need for technology other that in their ships. The Lynxine are the opposite, using any advanced piece of equipment they have at their disposal. The Sanhedrin also seem to care little for technology, but no one is sure of anything with them.

2: Transportation on the station and through space

There is a well developed shuttle and rail system that connects all the major cities at a reasonable price. Space travel on the other hand his limited to the very wealth or those of the lower class who work off-world.

3. Merchant Guild

There is a powerful merchant guild on Surmarack. They control the distribution of most commodities. The Imperium does not like them, and they may be the next target after the Houses.

Any other questions, post 'em here or PM me!

2. Pheonix

Character Name: Joshua Foresyth

Race/Species:Human

Appearance: Around 6ft, black hair and blue eyes. 24 years old.

Background:Eldest Son of Willhelm Foresyth, the patriarch of House Foresyth. Joshua is a thoughtful young man who is dreading one day becoming head of the House, but as heir, it is his duty. He is trained in combat, language, history, and science as part of his upbringing. He also has the ability to control the Flow, a fact that he has kept secret from his father and family, fearing that he would be cast of as pariah.

Skills/ Special Abilities: He is one of few humans who can control the Flow, and can move small objects telepathically, and has received visions of the future.

Equipment:He has a full communications suite implant.

Weapons:He always carries a small energy pistol and a sword with his families crest etched on the blade. Also, he has a dagger in a hidden sheath on his left arm.

Miscellaneous: Joshua is always accompanied by a body guard, Indori. Indori is a former member of the Principe Militum, and is willing to give his life for his charge.

Family/House: House Foresyth

Faction: Joshua himself is not aligned with any Faction, but he has a skeptical belief in the teaching of Suvos Mactan.

Goals: Joshua wishes to see the stars, to explore the galaxy like the nomads of old, but his duty to his house prevents him. He is also very interested in the plight of the lower classes, and wishes to do something for them, and looks forward to the day that he'll be able to.

3. Pheonix

First post will be up sometime this afternoon!

4. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Will send profile by evening; please save a seat. This sounds too epic to miss. I have a query, I'll send via PM.

5. Pheonix

Sure thing Earphone! Will be looking forward to seeing your character!

6. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Alright, I'm intrigued. Got a character in mind but I have a question as well, which I will PM to you :)

7. Pheonix

Awesome! Fox is intrigued!

8. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Awesome to see people are going for this! I think Surmarack has the potential for some really in-depth RP, so really looking forward to writing with you all.

Here's my character:

Character Name: Brezzo Corun

Race/Species: Lynxine

Appearance: Brezzo is a typical, early-middle-age example of the Lynxine race, standing a healthy 5'10" (not including his ears, which reach 2 inches higher) and covered in a thick, dark-red fur. He is sturdily built, with callused hands from a lifetime of using them. Brezzo dresses in clothing with is both respectable and practical (always with a collar, casual or not), since he is frequently in the presence of influential strangers and close friends all in one night.

Background: Brezzo came to Surmarack in his travels as a performer/explorer, and found employment among Coranum's small-time music scene. He performed with one-night-bands in bars, restraints, street corners, and parks for about half a year after arriving on the station. All the while, Brezzo was intensely curious about the humans--he had never been around so many at once--and eagerly asked all who would answer about their history, culture, technology, cooking, and whatever else the conversations stumbled upon.

After about a year on Surmarack, his curiosity to learn more about human history put him in contact with House Jarn, and thus Alaouda. Brezzo befriended a few of the more adventurous Jarns, and they allowed him to join their expeditions out into the areas of the station not covered in sprawling cities but rolling hills and vibrant forests. The members of the House came to enjoy and value Brezzo's curiosity, musical skills, and eagerness to learn, and offered him employment. He now works as a field researcher for the House, exploring the ecosystems of Surmarack to gain insight into what kind of world the humans came from and where they should seek to find the long-lost planet.

Skills/ Special Abilities: Brezzo is a talented musician, performing with either his personal Kitlel (similar to the human concertina) or sitting down at a piano if there is one available. His gift for musical patterns and creativity is a side effect of his remarkable acoustic perception. Brezzo can detect and pinpoint sounds far fainter than most members of other (and even his own) species. When performing, he will often listen into the subtle comments of his audience to judge how they are enjoying the music. When exploring, Brezzo uses his gift to find hidden animals, discreet caves, and detect danger long before it spots him.

Brezzo is relatively proficient with his rifle, due to long periods spent out exploring where such skills are needed, but lacks the martial arts skills the Lynxine are known for.

Equipment: As a civilian, Brezzo's equipment is not the best nor newest in the world. His standard field gear contains food, water, binoculars, maps, his Kitlel, 5-inch knife, rope, phone, and a rifle for hunting/self defense. He carries his Kitlel in his back pack while out in the field.

Weapons: His field knife and well-used rifle, both personal possessions which Brezzo keeps up as well as he can.

Miscellaneous: While money and food are always valuable, Brezzo prizes friends and loyalty above all other things. He places the utmost respect on those who have earned it, and will eagerly assist and defend his friends and expect them to do the same for him. Even to those who he does not depend on, Brezzo is kind and patient--a product of his early years of performing where persistence and a kind face were as important as musical skill.

Brezzo is no stranger to the racism towards his species. Being affiliated with a House causes most of the bigots to stay away, but there are those bold enough, both within and without House Jarn, to give him trouble.

Family/House:*Employed by House Jarn

Faction:*Favors the Alaouda, mostly out of curiosity for the human's origin.

9. Pheonix

Welcome to the game!

10. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

sorry i'm late. I'll send you a character sheet when I get some time.

11. Pheonix

Sounds good! Things haven't gotten going yet so you're fine!

12. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Working on my first post. We certainly jumped right into the action, but I do have one question. Is there a name for the start Surmarack is built around? Do we just call it "the sun" or something more specific?

Oh, and are there day/night cycles on the station?

I'm probably going to have more of this type, since I strive for as much detail as possible in my posts.

13. Pheonix

No problem! Most everyone just calls the star "the Sun". I haven't thought of a technical name for it. If your think of anything, let me know!

Next, there are Day night cycles on the station. Each segment is slowly turning, and completes a rotation in exactly 24 hours. This imitates day night cycles of a planet perfectly, minus the moon.

As for jumping into the action quick, I thought it would be good to get things going. The situation is going to be resolved without to much bloodshed however, and the only ones who need to be worried are House Gibrani.

14. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Well, if the station is a ring with the sun at it's center, then rotation wouldn't do any good for creating night/day since the sun will always be overhead. The shade of night would have to be caused by moving something in the way of the sun, which I'll just assume is how it works since you said there is a cycle.

15. Pheonix

Each segment of the ring, every hundred miles or so horizontally, rotates on its axis, moving the inhabited side away from the sun and towards open space. Writing this out just gave me another Idea! There are solar collectors on the outward facing side of the ring that are charged while they face the star.

That's what i meant by rotating. Does that make more sense?

It's revolving around the sun, and each segment is rotating slowly.

16. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Ah, so while the ring itself spins around the star, individual segments spin on a separate axis to provide the solar cycle. Interesting idea, Pheonix. With as many segments are there are, wouldn't be hard for each one to have a 1-degree tilt relative to the next without people noticing. Actually, I really like that idea. Might steal it someday for a sci-fi story of my own :D

17. Pheonix

I think people notice it, but are used to it. This thing's been there for the last 40,000 odd years lol. Glad you like the idea! I was trying to figure out a way for there to be day night on the station where stars would still be visible.

18. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Sounds good to me. Also, I promise I won't always post so long. I go for a lot of detail in my first few.

19. Pheonix

You really did an amazing job of setting the scene. It's just how i pictured it! Nicely done sir!

20. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Character Name: Fay Aladora

Race/Species: Human

Appearance: Fay has short black hair barely covering her ears. She has a loose fitting green shirt and brown slacks on.

Background: Fay grew up among map makers in minor House Aladora. Her grandfather and father taught her all they knew about the galaxy and tricks to charting new regions. More recently her father has been a guide for new comers to this end of the known galaxy. Her grandfather often saw visions through the flow and wrote them down before he died.

Skills/ Special Abilities: Fay has a photographic memory. Every map she's seen she's memorized. Her father is always telling her she will be the best guide in the galaxy one day. She has an uncanny ability to accurately read people's faces as well. Something her mother taught her.

Equipment: Fay wears a space compass given to her by her grandfather on her 10th birthday; nearly a month before he died. With it, she rarely gets lost.

Weapons: Fay has no weapons other than a stun gun she carries on her belt. Her father, however did teach her to shoot an energy gun in case she ever needed too.

Family/House: Family Aladora

Faction: Alaouda (The ones searching for Earth)

Goals: Fay wants more than anything to fulfill her grandfather's most precious vision. That someone in the family of Aladora would be the one to find and chart the way back to Domu Paradisus (earth). She has spent most of her young life searching for and memorizing every map she can find. Especially the ones dating thousands of years.

21. Pheonix

Glad to have you here LtW!

22. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Thankyou. Hope you liked my post. It just kept pouring out. It practially wrote itself. If you need me to edit any facts...let me know.

23. Fan7asticMrFox

I've PMed my character bio Pheonix! Hope you are ok with it :)

24. Pheonix

@Ltw I like it very much. You really developed your character alot in one post! Just as a note, even as a minor house, Aladora would still have a delegate in the House if Conventum right now, unless that delegate was Fay's father, because he was off Surmarack. In which case, he's probably alot better off... Anyway, don't know if you want to address that or not, but just so you know!

@Fox, you're good to go!

25. Fan7asticMrFox

Malief

Character Name: Malief

Race/Species: Sanhedrin

Appearance: Malief is identical to almost every Sanhedrin, with no facial features except for two solid white eyes. He stands at a meagre 5ft 5, has shadowy black skin and a thin build, which is concealed in his dark red hooded robe with grey patterned trimmings. While ordinary Sanhedrin try not to draw attention to themselves with black robes, Malief adds a human quality to his personality – showing other races that Sanhedrins do in fact think differently to one another.

Background: Not much is known about Malief’s past before his time on Surmarack. When he found his way onto the Tak’Ralith, meaning “Ring of Worlds”, Malief began his new life in the lower levels, using his understanding of the flow to scam lesser minds. However he knew small time hustles were never going to sate his ambition, and instead focused his efforts on obtaining certain information. Within only a few weeks he had already spread his influence throughout large parts of the lower levels, using supposed ordinary people to spy on competition, enemies, friends, anything that breathed and had resource.

Through his instinct, information and use of flow, Malief was able to convince two drug cartels to go to war. When the fighting was done, he waltzed in and picked up the pieces for himself. Through a front as a pharmacy, he was able to trade illegal product almost in broad daylight and business has been so successful that many regard him as the richest ‘alien’. Most see through the rouse of his business, but none will ever call Malief on it because of the possible information he has on them and their families.

Some call him ‘The Virus’, with his bacteria of spies plaguing many corners of Surmarack.

Skills/ Special Abilities: Malief commands the flow, but not as well as most Sanhedrin. While it can just about protect himself in combat, he prefers to focus on his brain power on the business of information, economy and politics.

Equipment: Does not carry such material things. Instead his steward Zangir carries all he needs (Zangir is like any normal Sanhedrin, with a black robe)

Weapons: The flow will protect and guide him.

Miscellaneous: Malief is very insistent in becoming a member of the Merchant Guild; however they deny him due to his “activities”. Malief argues that they have no proof of any illegal trading and due to his status and wealth he cannot be refused membership.
    Personality wise, Malief is cunning and efficient. He ways up most choices dependant on their return and value, and tends to speak in riddles to obscure his true meaning.

Racism towards Sanhedrin is done either behind Malief’s back or towards his steward – but never directly at him for obvious reasons.

Family/House: Malief is an indirect advisor to House Douway. Their trade agreements make them a perfect candidate to work with, and sources believe Malief invests heavily in the house to persuade their agendas in his favour.

Faction: It is believed he is unaligned.

Goals: Power.

It's pretty late where I am at the moment, so I will get a post up tomorrow as soon as I can :)