Tags:
  1. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Always this slow?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by XRD_author, Apr 2, 2019.

The forums seem to be getting under 50 posts a day, most of which having (at best) only a tenuous link to the craft of writing.

Is this the norm, or are things just slow right now for some reason?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Most threads, in most of the subforums, seem to dissolve into politics. Writing discussion begins to seem a little bit off topic.

Maybe a decent percentage of the population could agree to one politics-free zone, like, say, the Word Mechanics subforum.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Maybe all the personal attacks in both discussions and critiques is off-putting to the broader membership?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    love to read likes this.
  4. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

I've noticed that too but I also noticed the same with another forum I'm in. People are too caught up in their own lives to spend time in this virtual community.

John-Wayne likes this.
  5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I read through most of the threads, but don't comment on a lot of them because I either have nothing to add, I'm not in the mood for mayhem, or it's a thread that's already popped up multiple times since I've been here and people could easily find my opinion on the subject by using the search bar at the top, that side (→).

John-Wayne and Alan Aspie like this.
  6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

When I came here there was a lot more both open and half hidden SJW-talk and agendas. It had nothing or almost nothing to do with writing. Very big part of that talk was done by few activists.

Now there is much less that and more things connected to writing and/or thinking and/or inspiration and/or research. Maybe those activist have taken their SJW-talk to somewhere else, to more political forums.

So... I agree. There is some change. It's a good thing.

Me too.

Other forms of social media are competing about attention and time. This kind of board does not give much opportunities to virtue signalling, getting huge amount of attention - or illusion of it, shortcuts....

This board is excellent if you want to develop as a writer. And that means that participants don't get things in silver plate. And it often means that if new participants ask things specially for them they don't get much answers if and when those answers are already on board tens of times.

I think this is kind of writing school. The more you work, the more you develop - both skills and character growth. And the most important thing to learn is how to seek knowledge and information and how to love that seeking.

Most of us wanna-be's don't like working hard for progress. Some other boards offer illusions of fast development by agreeing with modes and majority of that community. That is a trap, but it sure lures a lot of wanna-be's. This board does not do that. So the lure is weaker but development better.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It does seem a little slow, and things have slowed down a bit at Mythic Scribes as well. We don't allow political debate there if it isn't tied to writing, so there isn't really the completely unrelated political bickering (the existence of which doesn't bother me, personally). But I've noticed a drop in posts. This happens from time to time.

8. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

For me personally, when ever I adventure outside of the core threads, I always seem to get caught up in some nonsensical-circular argument, usually with the same suspects, which usually ends badly for all of us. :p .

And when I get really riled up, sparks fly. So I try to keep to the sections that won't cause me trouble or lend itself to me causing trouble. I already got one Felony Band (1 week), I don't really care to get another. :p .

Edit: It also could the season, it is spring after all.

I agree that this is part of it!!!

I too had noticed this, and both agree and hope it's true.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  9. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

As a newbie here, it certainly feels slow which is disappointing. That said, I prefer the genuine feedback received here to many others forums and will be sticking around to learn as much as I can.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Compared to a lot of other forums its a rocket ship (before i joined here i was on the lit n lat forum - from the people who make scrivener - there days could go by without someone posting anything)

That said there is always a slow down on all forums at this time of year, its sunny, the clocks just went back, and people are stepping away from their keyboards to breathe in the fresh spring scent of BBQ lighter fuel and fresh cut grass