1. SCorneliusJ

SCorneliusJ New Member

Introverts Vs. Extraverts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SCorneliusJ, Oct 16, 2009.

Are you Introverted or Extraverted? What bothers you about being one and what bothers you about the other?

Personally I’m introverted, and the thing that bothers me most is people assuming there’s something up because I’m sitting quietly or haven’t spoken for a while.

The thing that bothers me most about extraverts is that they can be very energetic, it’s hard to keep up sometimes.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Haha you would hate me, then. I've had a lot of people tell me that I'm hard to keep up with.

I was very, very shy for a long time, but then I decided I just needed to fake confidence until I really had it, and now I'm pretty extroverted. I picked a little bit of both, though, because when I meet new people, I tend to pull back a little bit and feel them out before I decide if I want to be my usual loud, bubbly, obnoxious self with them or not.

3. SCorneliusJ

SCorneliusJ New Member

Actually,i've gotten quite used to handling extraverts after being around my sister for so long, but i can still find them... grating (can't think of a better word) if i'm tired.

4. hiddennovelist

I try not to be grating. I just have a lot of energy, and I talk very quickly.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm really shy around people I don't know well, but then super friendly and fun and whatever around my friends. A lot of people who only meet me once think I'm stuck up or just mean, but I'm not, I just don't feel comfortable talking to you :)
    I really hate people who come on too strong, its like whoa, you're very loud, please leave me alone. Yeah...I guess I am a bit of a dick....I just don't like most people...I have awesome friends already, if you wanna join them you better be something special, otherwise what's the point? I'm not the kind of person who makes friends just to have more friends...

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I am always a bit nervous in new situations and I'm quiet when meeting new people.
    Sadly, this has given people the idea that I am a snob...which couldn't be farther from the truth. I am just leery of people and until I get to know them, I limit my involvement.

7. hiddennovelist

I don't understand why so many people assume that quiet = snobby. Back when I was shy, everyone thought I was full of myself...we had a new guy start at work, and after he had been there for a while, he told me that I was a b*tch when he first started. How is me not talking to you me being a b*tch?

Silly humans...

8. SCorneliusJ

SCorneliusJ New Member

Haha, yeah, I'm the same only people usually end up thinking I hate them. Whenever I meet new people my friends either have to or already have told them not to take offence to me. I'm nice enough once you get to know me, but until then or if i do actually dislike you, my reception might be a little frosty

9. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I'm loud and obnoxious. *shrug*

10. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I can be quite loud, unless I'm around my group of friends, then I'm the quiet one. That's not me suppressing myself, just in my group of 18 girls I'm the least loudest haha.
    I used to be reallllly quiet & shy. Then I realised I had no friends, & might have been coz I was so hard to talk to.
    Now I never shut up haha. xxx

11. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I picked "a bit of both" because I know it varies according to the situations I'm in, but I do tend to err on the side of introverted.

I have a much greater preference for listening to and/or observing others and processing it all internally, mostly because I need the time to form coherent sentences during intelligent conversation that aren't "you can steal things from monkeys."
    (I have a habit of relating conclusions without clueing everyone else in on how I got there when I feel my input is suddenly expected and I'm not quite ready for it...)

12. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

It seems I remember you sharing this moment once before...I have to admit, I almost lost my coffee laughing. LOL :D

But this is a rather good point.

13. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Everything and nothing. Both.

14. Marine

Marine New Member

Neither, just because I disagree with idea of labels. I think no one could be introverted or extraverted all the time.

15. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I put both.

I like to be quiet, I like to be left alone (especially if I'm sad) and I don't force myself to say something if I don't care about the conversation at hand. As others have noted, I often get accused of being a snob or moody (<-- they may even be right ;) )

But I will always get a conversation started when amongst strangers, I'll talk to anyone if it looks like they could use some company and I'll always tell you what I think if you ask - even if the answer isn't what you wanted to hear. I think it comes from being a coach :)

16. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

i'm an introvert, but the worst part in my continuous self-doubt (like, i'll be the only one in a class to know the answer, but i won't raise my hand... because i still might be wrong) also, i'll think of really great jokes, but won't say them out loud, so i start laughing to myself and people don't know why... generally because though i find them funny, i doubt others would :p

though with good friends, i'm overly rambunctious - loud and constant joking :redface:

^ yup. happens to me too. people think me snobby/bad girl/b*tch/etc because i don't speak much in a big group or with new people (though if questions are asked, i'll answer honestly, even if it's embarrassing for most people)... i'm really not so bad, i think.

got nothing against extroverts, just feel they judge me for not being like them. also think they don't find me fun to hang out with :p

17. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

We live our lives in the yin-yang way, being EXTRAVERT/introvert or INTROVERT/extravert. Being one way externally can be a protective/defensive action, while reverting to your 'true' self when alone or confident of your place within a group. I'm EXTRAVERT/introvert.

18. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

I don't think either description does me justice...I'd term myself an incredibly emotionally unstable 'ambivert'.

19. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

When I'm around people I like I am incredibly extroverted, but otherwise I like my silence and don't need people around me constantly to keep my sanity. In truth, I don't really dislike either of the two types of people, I'm just a bit apathetic.

I guess if I was forced to choose then I would label myself an introvert simply because I don't need people around to keep my sanity. I do, however, need both my silence and alone time to keep myself from going mad.

20. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

That is me below. I used to be the exact opposite back when I was younger, but I find the larger the group of people you associate with, the more immaturity you have to put up with. In smaller groups of people, you are more inclined to have a good time with far less stress!

21. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I get this all the time.

22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Exact same with me! If I don't feel confident enough that day, I just fake it until I feel confident enough. I also do hesitate a little when I meet new people, and when I get to know them that's when I'm my usual extroverted self.

23. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

XD That's because I still can't get over how ridiculous it sounded in the context of the rest of the conversation - everyone was being so serious about the concept of ownership ... after I said that there was a few odd looks and "well....I guess that's...true"

All I can say is that it made sense in my head - with all the other qualifying statements I neglected to say first, lol.
    :p

24. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I’m mostly introverted, unless a conversation drifts into something I’m really interested in

25. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

This used to describe me pretty well, but then I either picked up a wider range of interests or just decided to start speaking up.