1. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Amateur Artist needs Halp for Cover Inspiration

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Yume No Okami, Mar 7, 2015.

I've been trying to draw my mains in a decent cover for some time now... Can someone halp? I'm stuck creatively. My story has a masquerade theme, but it's not the only thing I've toyed with.

image.jpg
    Oh, she also has orange hair. image.jpg
    He didn't look so girly earlier I swear DAMNIT DILLON

Dillon's supposed to be madly in love with Eiko.

THANKS ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO HELP THE BOY WITH THE CREEPY AVATAR

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Help is spelled with an 'e' not an 'a'. :)

What kind of help are you looking for?

3. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

I know. Internet habit. :crazy:

I'm looking for ideas of how to lay it out... I came up with a Cinderella themed design- but Eiko's head was too small and there wasn't enough space for Dillon...
    image.jpg
    I also came up with this a few weeks back, but it looks flat and my art has improved a bit since then...
    image.jpg
    EDIT: And Eiko looks REALLY derpy in that first pic... And Dillon looks too pervy...

4. GingerCoffee

Is this book finished or nearly finished?

As for the facial expressions not being what you wanted, I suggest you browse some cartoon art and find the expressions you are going for. There are some key features in an expression that convey specific emotions.

I like the artwork generally. The tail and the leg look interesting except the leg is lacking the anatomical hip joint. And the faces may need tweaking.

5. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Uh... Um... Barely started...? I wanted to draw a (web)comic, and wanted to make a substantial first impression... I have the whole plot in my head. :) One chapter on paper... :(

ANATOMY!!! MY ARCHENEMY!! NOO!! (I need to work on that)

I'll consult the books on expressions... And the internet...

I've been working on faces this past day or two... I think I've made some progress on eyes.

image.jpg

Tsun-tsun. :D

Do you have any ideas on a dynamic cover? I'm trying to run with an appearances theme, and so far I've had them doing romantic things while holding a weapon or apple behind their back. (fruit from tree of knowledge)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. GingerCoffee

If this is a graphic novel, I can see the need to start drawing. But it makes no sense whatsoever to design the cover before the book is written.

7. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Ahahaha... The book is kinda written- I've been brainstorming for about five years and know the plot and my characters by heart. I know how it starts, all their trauma, and how it ends. I've just always sorta struggled getting it on paper because of: a) my amateurness in art compared to everyone with tablets and so much awesomer art than me, and b) I keep on hitting blocks as I can't figure out how to write the dialogue in a story. Any extended conversation turns into boring drawl, strained exchange, or a mixture of both. THEN comes the magic fights with wings and bows and swords and guns and staffs. My specialty is angst... Not action. :(

8. GingerCoffee

I know my story well. That is not the same as 'nearly written'. Get thee to thine writing, my friend. This is procrastinating. :D

9. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

but me and procrastinating are old underage drinking buddies

Nicoel likes this.
  10. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

Write the first issue. Then storyboard it. At the storyboard stage, you needn't worry about anatomy or expression as much.
    Then draw/ink/etc the first issue. THEN do the cover. Hopefully by the time the first issue is drawn, inked and coloured, you'll have developed your skill more and be satisfied enough with a cover. That is, roughly, how a single, solitary person makes a comic.

11. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Aha, I see your problem here. You are trying to draw anime, and anime is trash. Giving your characters the same face and changing the hair and costume are not effective character design. Here's a paragon of design talking about what makes a good character.

You've also got some huge issues with anatomy. Those are less easy to fix, but it can be done. Go to posemaniacs. Draw one of the figures, not by tracing him/her, but by recreating them from sight on a piece of paper. Draw as large as you possibly can. Repeat once a day for a year or so, you'll have a fantastic command of the human body, and be well on your way to being a good penciler.

12. GingerCoffee

That's a bit harsh, but those links are excellent. That's just what I had in mind.

13. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

Jack Asher, taste is subjective. For example, Rob Leifeld and Greg Land seem to only be able to draw one face, where as, Sailor Moon looks nothing like Alita from Battle Angel Alita, who looks nothing like Madoka from Madoka Magica, who looks nothing like Edward from Cowboy Bebop, who looks nothing like Orihime from Bleach.

Art is art, skill is skill.

You keep doing you, Yume.

14. Jack Asher

Let me put it this way. The second you can find me an individual western artist who has made great success copying Anime style is the second I break my stylus in half and send you the pieces.

No, Bryke does not count, if anything their work shows much more western influence then Anime.

Here's the low down. A western comic artist produces an average of 5-7 pages a week. A manga artist does 20-30 a day. You are never going to get anywhere copying an art style that is progenitively Japanese because there are literally hundreds of Manga artists that can flood the world until you are completely lost.

Learn the basics @Yume No Okami and then create an art style unique to you, but don't go copying Anime like a tryhard.

Wreybies likes this.
  15. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

I've never thought about storyboarding... Thanks, Lilith. :)
    I wasn't looking for bashing on the art style I've been working at for over three years now... >_< I'm not going to change to another art style, for a number of reasons:
    1. On a personal level, I abhor comic art along the lines of superheroes because I find the heavy use of black ink unpleasant and dreary, and the beginning is meant to be comedic.
    2. I like escapism, and trying to emulate real life completely would be annoying to me and I'd find it especially difficult to draw all the magic that has no real life counterpart.
    3. A completely cartoony style wouldn't work either, as I intentionally invoke Cerebus Syndrome and feel the pathos would come better from someone whose head wasn't as big as their shoulders.
    4. It has a high animesque aesthetic, with the main plot in high school, a demon as a main character and a tsundere.
    5. Anime can look generic at times, yes, but it's art style can lend itself to comedy and drama at the same time.
    6. I have no desire whatsoever to start over from the beginning.
    But I will check out those links, because you're right, my anatomy sucks. XD
    A sankayuu. :)
    Does Mark Crilley count? I have a couple of his books.

I'm not copying anime like a tryhard, I've bought books and gone through many tutorials. It's not something I just wanted to do out of the blue either- I've grown up my whole (short 15 year) life with anime, 80% of my family likes anime, and my first memory is of anime. I enjoy it way too much to drop it on a whim.

...And I'm Chinese, if that means anything...

EDIT: OMG AHAHA I CANT COUNT IM 14 NOT 15

GingerCoffee likes this.
  16. GingerCoffee

Isn't Anime Japanese? Even so, I like Anime and I fail to see why nationality or ethnicity makes one better or worse at that style of art. Like you say, it's the style you've been working in.

Fullmetal Xeno and Okon like this.
  17. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Eh, yeah, but most Asians along the lines of China, Korea love anime. I haz a Korean friend who loves anime and my mom attributes our ethnicity/culture as one of the reasons we enjoy it. (I have something like half traditional culture and half western culture family. It doesn't make me any better or worse inherently, but it's just the whole growing up around the shows that really helps in my eyes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  18. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

Joe Mad! Chris Bachalo, Humbrto Ramos, Camilla d'Errico, the Megatokyo guy (sadly)...

19. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I like anime too. I've seen some amazing movies come from it, such as My Neighbour Totoro, and well pretty much anything from Studio Ghibli to name just a few.

Also, you draw quite well for your age, but it's a good idea to focus on the story instead of the distractions like maps, character bios, and covers. Then again, if those things are what's fun for you right now, practice is all that matters at your level and age.

20. Jack Asher

The only one of those that I would even consider is Fred Ghallager, and it's a long stretch to compare him to the team that drew Sandman.

Camilla d'Errico might be a point in your corner, except that I had to look her up. She's got an indie pub with 3 books that she penciled. Less a success story, and more a continuous struggle story.

Looks like I don't have to buy a new stylus.

21. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

So, the artist of Spiderman, Wolverine, and other Marvel titles, who had his own comic published by Wildstorm, isn't successful? OK Then!

22. Jack Asher

To which are you referring? None of you first three names draw Manga by even the most loosely defined terms.

(It should be noted that I'm referring to their primary style, that is the one they make the most money with. Even Frank Cho has been known to draw some giant-fucking-robots)
    Edited to add: Examples of the non-anime style for each,
    Exhibit A
    Exhibit B
    Exhibit C

23. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Anime is from Japan, but animation from other cultures can be referred as Anime. Anime was actually inspired by German, American, Russian and French animation.

24. Jack Asher

And not all animation coming out of Japan is anime. Hayao Miyazaki's later work is distinctly un-anime.

Manga on the other hand is distinctly and specifically Japanese, and that's the term I should have used. Manga is trash. Anime is also trash. We apologize for the error.

25. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Hentai is trash. Not Anime.