1. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

"Sportsy" scenes... any pointers?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by agentkirb, Jan 14, 2012.

I've read a few books where they'll have a scene where a game of some kind is being played. You don't see it as often in books because it's probably harder to capture. This scene I'm thinking of isn't like the climax of the story... but it would be like if I were to write a scene where I was watching a PPV boxing match with a buddy of mine and it was really good. So you'd have the emphatic cheering when the guy you are rooting for is doing good, lots of food and drinks, etc. And then of course you see the fans in the stands cheering, the cornerman (or whatever he's called) coaching his boxer in between rounds, and so on.

So I have all of the "information" for such a scene. Any tips on how to write it so that it doesn't come off as just an uninteresting list? I don't think I plan on doing a full chapter on the match, but maybe 1K words so that it's kind of an event that gets talked about but it doesn't dominate that part of the story.

2. astroannie

astroannie New Member

It depends. if we the readers are watching them watch boxiing, that's pretty boring. How does it advance the story? If it doesn't, then you might want to rethink writing it.

3. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Well it wouldn't be us watching them watching boxing. The majority of the description hypothetically would be from the match itself... but the characters would be at their house watching the match on PPV (as opposed to the MC being one of the boxers for example).