1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Tags:
  1. Lew

Lew Contributing Member Contributor

Amazon Exended Distribution: Lesson learned!

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Lew, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM.

When I started posting "The Eagle and the Dragon" for publication via Createspace, I elected to purchase a Gowker ISBN @ $100. I chose not to launch with extended distribution, as I wanted to keep the price down.

Last week, with Kindle selling well, I decided to elect extended distribution, to get it into B&N and Ingram. The three choices for extended distro are Bookstores, createspace direct, and libraries and instiutions. The first two were selectable, the thrid greyed out as inelgible due to non-CS ISBN. No matter, I went ahead and also raised the price accordingly. After a few days, only my short story "Come, Follow Me" showed up on B&N.

A call to CS told me that the CS ISBN is required for all three, just not the last one that was rejected. My option are to give up B&N, Ingram and the route to Nook and overdrive, or to republish under a CS ISBN.

I am holding off on making the change, and backing the price back down. I would like to get recommendations on this: in particular, if I retire the current paid-for ISBN, can I retain it for future use. It is, I understand, now permanently linked to my name and title. Comments please!

CS does not make this clear at ISBN selection, or I don't recall they did. Everyone should be aware of this before purchasing an ISBN for CS publications.

GingerCoffee likes this.