1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

To prove a person stone-hearted

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Charisma, Aug 30, 2007.

How? I have a character, who must be proven cold and stone-hearted (though he is in a relationship, no complaints). What actions, in general, depict these traits?

2. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I guess it would depend on how he was cold hearted. What in relationship to your story is he cold hearted about ? If not the relationship he is in.

3. Charisma

He is very unconcerned about everyone. Like, he's inhuman towards people. He doesn't care about his loved ones and he doesn't value feelings.

4. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

That doesn't necessary make him cold hearted. Just introverted.

I think if you have actions that portray him as being dismissive of universal human values, you can probably get the effect you are looking for.

5. Charisma

That is a good point. Thanks koz :)

6. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

No problem :)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How do you tell someone is cold-hearted? By his or her actions.

If someone is sobbing, and runs to an acquaintence for comfort, and that person says, "Get over it," or silently walks away, he or she will come across as cold-hearted. Or if he responds with the appropriate comfort words, but sneaks a look at his watch and thinks to himself, "Damn, my favorite TV show starts in less than a minute," he or she is probably cold-hearted.

He or she might look around to see if someone is watching before deciding whether to do a good deed, or conversely to do something despicable.

A coldhearted person might run over a cat in the street, and then look to see if anyone saw it happen. Seeing no one, that person would probably just drive away.

Does that help?

8. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I agree with Cog. Usually someone that is cold-hearted tends to be egocentric and self centered.

9. Charisma

I guess that's quite elaborating, Cogito. I can use that concept in my story.

10. ForsytheTragedy

ForsytheTragedy New Member

Please don't make the bastard run over any cats. Make him run over his girlfriend instead...that'll be less heart-breaking.

11. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

LOL. I cracked up when I read your reply.

12. ForsytheTragedy

ForsytheTragedy New Member

That's what I'm here for. ;)

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Or maybe even both.

14. Charisma

OK. I guess he'll still run over the cats.

15. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Is someone going to have revenge on him for running over his girlfriend? He'll make a lot of enemies and deal with major issues. Most bad guys who hurt people's close firends or love ones get pay back. If you lost someone you care the most, then you would get piss off too. By the way, what makes your character cold hearted? How does he control his feelings to no one? And what kind of conflict will he face in his life?

16. Charisma

No. She's his fiance, btw.

He was a kid when his parents divorced. He moved away with his father who didn't treat him right.

I didn't get your question. 'control his feelings to no one'? Anyways, of what I understood, he just is unconcerned with people and their acquisitions. He will do what he wants to, no arguments.

He returns to his mother's family after many years. He really makes them unhappy, and eventually, in order to teach him a lesson his fiance breaks up with him.

17. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I think the two main traits of a cold-hearted person are ruthlessness and mercilessness. You need to have sections in the book that show this person as being compassionless.

Good luck :)

18. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

Here's another view point (because I recognize I am pretty cold hearted). The thought of hugging someone who is crying is weird to me because if I was crying I wouldn't like to be hugged. When I am sad I want to be away from people. I would rather cry in peace and be left alone. Some people come from non-demonstrative families (not much body contact, not much talk of emotion). I actually do not think that makes people "cold-hearted." Isn't it more a cultural thing as far as personal space and so on? Lots of guys don't hug anyone unless it has to do with bedroom stuff. I mean, I don't touch people but I cry when I hear of starving people or animal abuse. And frankly for someone to expect 100% emotional investment when they are sad-- in other words for someone to drop everything they are doing and pay attention to only them, seems to be more ego-centric and self involved than the person looking at his/her watch because his favorite show is coming on, I mean, that's his schedule you are breaking into. Sadness is a kind of a temper tantrum, and in a way, paying attention is encouraging it. There are cultures that expect a more even and unchanging emotional state. Things like misfortune, death, injury, disease and so on are things that happen to people. A lot of people get all upset, but some take it more philosophically.

19. Charisma

Thanks, ILTBY. I hope this will help me draft out my story properly :D

And Funny Bunny, I know what you mean. However, to be unmoved with with the other person's suffering is the true meaning of cold-hearted. You're not cold-hearted, just undemonstrative in your emotions. That's different that not even feeling sad if your mother breaks her jaw.

20. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

You got yourself a drug addict or an alcoholic here.

21. Charisma

Alcoholic.

22. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I had a room-mate when I broke my leg. She took the opportunity to pack up all her belongings and leave me with all the bills while I couldn't walk. I guess that is similar to not feeling sad when your mother breaks her jaw.

23. Charisma

Sure is.

24. Montag

Montag New Member

Would 'sociopath' describe the kind of person your aiming at Anthraxx?

I like to make cold characters, people that are just too concerned with their own self that they dont notice other peoples feelings getting hurt or upset. Like one guy in a story of mine, trying to explain to his little daughter why he and the 'good' people like him are so much better than what he calls the outsiders. He yells at her to stop crying and listen to what he's saying.

Nobody ever stops crying by being ordered to stop.

Thats a kind of unintentional mean-ness (the worst kind).

Then there's annother guy who feels that emotions are just weaknesses that people will exploit in him. People he loves die or get sick and he just say's 'oh well, **** happens, everyone dies someday.' and moves on. The stress of not reacting to all this stuff eventually breaks him.

25. Charisma

The guy I'm talking about is the other guy.