Ambulance Drop Off fact check

Discussion in 'Research' started by Bakkerbaard, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I just saw an episode of House and the were using an MRI which showed the areas of the brain that were active. It allowed them to deduce that the woman in the machine was a psychopath, because they could tell she was unable to actually feel emotions. The monitor actually showed areas of the brain lighting up in different colors.

Of course, it's a TV show, might be completely inaccurate, but then House seems to be a pretty well-researched show. I know they have medical consultants they work closely with.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Apparently a regular MRI shows only a static image of the brain at a given moment, but an FMRI gives a time-based image with movement and can show brain activity by showing concentrations of blood in various areas. The areas with the most bloodflow are the more active ones.

Source

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

ELECTROCUTION INJURIES AND ELECTRICAL ACCIDENTS
    Ignore the fact that site advertises lawyers for hire.

EMT Training
    You can always clarify it in the text but if you look up "electrocution injuries" there are many entries like these.

By the same token: Sports Medicine Drowning Injuries
    Of course one is writing for the reader not the medical person. But just because an author hasn't heard a term used a certain way doesn't mean said term is never used that way. We are here to learn, are we not?

It's very easy to work around using near-drowning and near-electrocution. Problem solved.

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  4. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Merely looking to eliminate elements that hamper the suspension of disbelief. Which, now that I think about it, constitutes credibility... So, yeah.

I have an unfinished electrician's education that confirms this.
    Emphasis on unfinished, and suggested emphasis on "motherf-- I told you to unplug it!"

Here. I can work with this.
    They way I'm planning to go now, I still need the electric thing, but head trauma from a resulting fall seems like a better idea.

...I'm sorry to get your hopes up. ;o)

It doesn't look like I'll get to a point in the medical process where an EEG would be logically requested. I'll have to think of a different way to inform the reader the unconscious brother had above average brain activity going on while he was out.

I'm not writing at that level. More like Scrubs.
    Actually, the electric/head bumping accident and the hospital bit are all just set ups for the reveal at the end.

Xoic and B.E. Nugent like this.
  5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

And unusual amount of REM eye movement might serve your purpose.

Bakkerbaard likes this.