1. We are experiencing some technical issues currently. If you post and nothing appears to happen please refresh your browser rather than hitting post again. Otherwise you will post twice, which is creating a lot of duplicates for the team to clear up. Please bear with us, these things will be sorted as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Ethan321

Ethan321 New Member

An Anthology of Works in Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Ethan321, Mar 10, 2019.

I've lately been working on a limited variety of projects as far as writing goes. I've made decent progress on a collection of philosophical essays. I've finished six essays so far and am (somewhat) working on a seventh. The two main foundational texts for them are done. I do need to edit and polish them to make sure they're clear, which I've been procrastinating on. I haven't quite figured out a title for them yet, but I do have a title for each essay. I'm almost finished, but I'm not quite sure I want to do with them. I know a retired English teacher who said that she would like to read them, so I guess I'll show them to her and see what she thinks. I'll most likely see if I can get them into an academic journal through the college that I go to, but we'll see. At the moment, I'm kind of idling on them so I really need to get rolling on finishing them.

More recently, however, I wrote a short story out of nowhere. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to call it. Originally I called it Diana (The God, I was reading Ovid at the time), but I realized that it doesn't really fit what the story is about. The subject of the story is a Character who has encountered a great discursiveness in his mind and seemingly lost the store of knowledge that we all store in our minds. It's only 800 words so I might try to make it longer, but if I can't figure out how, then I'll probably just edit it and post it in the workshop once I've figured out a better title.

But yeah thats what I'm working on right now

2. Ethan321

Ethan321 New Member

Update:
    Over the last day, I've written about two thousand words. I decided to try to write a decently long essay in order to practice my ability to stretch an idea over multiple pages without making it boring. When I started writing it, I was considering making it the basis of a novel, but then quickly decided to change it to a more direct essay. Nevertheless, I think it worked quite well by way of inspiration. The essay came out quite nicely and I ended up with a completely different take on the philosophy which I had previously developed. I'm considering doubling the length of it and making it a foundational text for an antecedent string of essays to the previous philosophical essays I have written. I feel like it would give a good insight as to how it's possible to develop two completely different philosophies on one's own and compare them. I've also been trying to work on editing my previous essays, but I realized how juvenile and pathetic my writing style was in them (I wrote them a few months ago, and have grown a lot since them.) They're going to need a lot more work than I thought they did.

3. Ethan321

Ethan321 New Member

Update:
    I haven't worked on my essays too much, although I've begun to make some critical breakthroughs by way of creating a certain method of viewing the world, so I may very well push out another string of essays soon. I have, however, changed my short story a bit. I felt that it was a bit unfinished, so I wrote a second part two it. To me, it seems a bit like an epilogue, but I'm not sure where exactly I want to put my character's apotheosis so it could very well end up being just another step in a longer story. I'll have to do some thinking about aesthetic and the different forms of existence before I can definitively decide what I want my main character's apotheosis to be. While I do that, however, I'm going to polish up the second part of my short story and see how much I can refine and elevate it.