1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

An epiphany.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by deadrats, Jun 15, 2022.

Do most or all main characters have an epiphany moment somewhere in the story? If not, does a story usually point out (directly or with subtext) where this moment was missed by the character? This sort of seems to be the case. Wondering what you all think.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

There are various story structures, but I think many do have a 'discovery' phase which is like an epiphany.

Probably more common in Hero's Journey story structures and Coming of Age stories. Lit Fiction probably features this a lot too.

In Tragedies like 'The Great Gatsby' it may often be the narrator that has the epiphany or points out when the protagonist missed their chance at discovery.

3. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

A compelling character faces fears or challenges. Overcoming the challenges results in change in them, some type of personal growth. Some might call it an epiphany, or transformation.

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Short answer: probably. They're going to figure something out. It's probably important. Otherwise, you'd write about another event in their life.

5. lorinda woener

lorinda woener Member

Hello deadrats, (like the username)

The structure I think the vast majority of stories take an epiphany approach. But in my opinion, this doesn't have to be beaten over the head of the reader. I think you can write in areas that the character should have had such a reaction but either didn't or had an abnormal reaction that the reader may not have thought about. Using dialogue from other characters can help tell the reader where that character missed the opportunity to learn something. I love to have my characters talk crap about another character behind that person's back - just like real life.

deadrats likes this.