1. taylor.kuykendall

taylor.kuykendall New Member

20-Something Male Lit...

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by taylor.kuykendall, Feb 26, 2010.

Hello,

I'm currently working on a novel that is targeted at 20-something males who have an unhealthy obsession with music, women and having a good time. It's sort of in line with the writing of Chuck Klosterman, Nick Hornby and a less emotional Gary Sheffield.

My question is, does anybody else tend to write from this voice, or are there any published authors I could seek for more information?

I tend to shy away from science fiction, which I see a lot on here, and I was wondering if anyone else writes a lot of realistic fiction laden with pop-culture references, crude observations and quasi-philosophical meanderings of college-aged addicts of sex, love, music, relationships and delusional grandeur... I know... it sounds more like a specific book than a genre, but I know a lot of people that would be interested in a genres of that text, and was just curious about what else out there was similar to that...

2. Jobeykobra

Jobeykobra New Member

I've written a novel myself about a group of modern-day college students, the main character himself being 19. It's a lot about that sort of stuff; the desensitization with the ever-amoral Internet, the living and growing up in an America of war and economic crisis and being "lost" because of it, exploring hedonism, and I reference a lot of modern-day musicians and events. I'd definitely be interested in that type of book.

Also there are many good books out there in that sort of genre, and Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis is my favorite book in that category. You could call the genre coming-of-age fiction, transgressive fiction, or just plain contemporary general fiction.

3. Tamsin

Tamsin New Member

Try these :)

Chuck Palahniuk
    Douglas Coupland
    Michael Snyder

4. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Chuck Palahniuk
    Charles Bukowski
    John fante (A Must)
    Michel Houellebecq (writes from a middle aged POV but similar)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in other words, 'stud lit'? ;-)