1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

An interesting bundle ...

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by SapereAude, Jun 26, 2021.

This won't be of interest to everyone, but it might appeal to some:

https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-promotion

SoftMaker is a German company. Their SoftMaker Office suite includes the "big three" that most office suites offer: word processor, spreadsheet, and presentations. It reads and writes Microsoft Office .doc and .docx files, and it offers an integral utility to export directly to .EPUB format (and it does it better than other EPUB converters I have tried). They also offer a free version, called FreeOffice, which I have and have used. Until now, I had not considered upgrading to the paid version. Why am I now considering it?

First, the paid version includes the capability of keeping a document map -- which I think is something like a cross between a table of contents and an outline) in a sidebar. Depending on how you write, this could be very handy for navigating back and forth between scenes or chapters in a manuscript.

And then add in the inclusion of Corel Paintshop Pro, and it gets very interesting. If you have thought about creating your own covers but don't have (and don't want to spend the money to rent) InDesign, getting Paintshop Pro along with a very capable word processor looks like a very attractive package for an affordable price.

Just a thought. I'm at a place where I don't think I need either program but, being a bit of a software junkie, I'll probably buy this bundle "just because."

2. Mullanphy

Mullanphy Banned

You nailed it; an interesting bundle. If I were not already used to Microsoft products and looking, that would be the one for me.

PC Magazine, a relatively trustworthy source for software and hardware reviews seems duly impressed, too. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/softmaker-office

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The Paintshop Pro addition is interesting to me. I’ve been using GIMP for many years. I wonder how much of a learning curve it would be to switch.

4. SapereAude

I am also accustomed to using Microsoft Office, and I find SoftMaker Office to look and work much more like Microsoft Office than other suites such as Libre Office. I own Office 2016 and Office 2019, so I'm set to keep working for several years without needing to buy another office suite, but getting a good office suite that I can install on up to five machines (which will cover me for notebooks and tablets) PLUS getting PaintShop Pro was too tempting to resist.

5. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I agree - a navigation tool like that document map is a really handy thing. For my purposes, it's really all I used the Binder for, back when I used Scrivener.

Will TextMaker allow you to fold sections? That would be a really cool feature.

6. SapereAude

I don't know. I have been using the free FreeOffice version, which doesn't support the document map sidebar function. I did buy the paid version from this offer at the end of June, but between (sorry, "among") having my water heater die, starting a new job, and my daughter trying to commit suicide I haven't even installed it.

7. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

Devastating to hear about your daughter. I hope for healing and the best for your family.

I got email today from Edwin Yip, the guy behind DocxManager. That's an add-on for Word that gives it a corkboard and other features. If I were a Word user I don't think I would use Word without it.

I don't know if TextMaker will run Word extensions.

The first launch of DocxManager, probably ten years ago, was rocky. Edwin cheerfully handed out refunds like they were candy, completely rewrote his application, and from what I hear it's been solid ever since.

I had that first version of DocxManager. I was enough impressed with Edwin's attitude to decline the refund. Then came Mac, Nisus, Scrivener, and my current favorite, Mellel.

No regrets, though. He brought a lot of value to writers using his stuff.

8. SapereAude

Just looked at the DocxManager web site.

To an olde pharte like me, it's totally overwhelming. The screen shots were mind numbing. I guess I'm doomed to working the way I've always worked.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Got the bundle because I wanted to try out Paintshop Pro. For what it's worth, I've also been trying the SoftMaker office suite. So far, TextMaker has shown good compatibility with the Word documents I use for work and with clients, including showing redlines properly, getting tables right, and getting annotations right. There are other features I haven't tried yet, like line and paragraph numbering, but if those also work well I may ditch my Office 365 subscription. I only keep that active so I can access Word from home and on my Macbook for work and client-related matters.