1. Funerary

Funerary Member

An Ordinary Accountability Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Funerary, Jan 27, 2019.

Greetings, all. I've decided to start a writing journal in order to be better able to hold myself accountable for my own work rate. This also coincides with the fact that over the last few days I have decided to finally start writing on actual novel (for the last half a decade I've been exclusively writing, and occasionally publishing, short stories). So this seems like a fun and interactive way to watch my various projects develop. This thread will mostly be used in relation to the novel in progress, but might also make reference to some of my short story drafts/literary journal submissions depending on what I end up working on as time goes by.

The novel itself is, I feel, a standard literary fiction story. Almost like a bottle episode. It explores an affair between an older man and a younger girl and examines the adverse psychological impact the affair has on the entire cast of characters (which for now is just the older man, the younger girl and the older man's wife). I like the idea of having an 80,000 word manuscript extremely contained and terse, so I want there to be as few characters as possible and I would like for the entire novel to play out within the confines of the married couple's house. We will see what happens.

I am giving myself a grace period of three to four months to finish the first draft. Right now, I have the general direction of the story in my head, as well as the general makeup of each character, but I intend on exploring these more and perhaps allowing it to develop as I am in the process of writing it. I intend to update this journal once or twice a week.

As for short stories, I have roughly 150 or so in some state between gestation and competition. I am a notorious perfectionist with my works and am very rarely happy with them. Lots of my projects end up abandoned or lost to the sands of time. But I would like to change my work ethic this year and force myself to finish stories and submit them to literary journals. So I think I will use this journal for that endeavour as well.

___

I have written 1899 words of the novel so far over the last three days, just sort of sketching out the basics of the beginning of the story and coming up with ideas for different scenes to help develop the characters. A lot of it will have to be rewritten, I'm sort of just trying to come up with material as I am writing, while having a loose idea of where the story should be heading in the back of my head.

I look forward to sharing more details in relation to same with you all as this year progresses.