1. DeAnte Sanders

DeAnte Sanders New Member

I came up with this plot in 5 mins should I write about it?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DeAnte Sanders, Nov 30, 2014.

The Desire

Meet Alec Wyatt your average college freshman that just happen to have the worst luck with women in fact, every woman he falls for always tosses him onto the back burner or into the infamous friend zone. One night while studying for his psychology test he begins to nod off sleep and whispers "LOVE DOESN'T EXIST" not realizing Cupid the god of love heard him weep. The next morning Alec wakes to the smell of breakfast smiling with delight he licks his lips... but he suddenly remembers his roommate never came back after the football game. Alec quickly grabs his psychology book ready to attack hurdling towards the small kitchen cautiously peeking around the corner, he was shocked by the stranger he saw. With a mouth full of food Cupid greets Alec "Hi ya" cupid says, swallowing the food slowly Cupid then tells Alec he heard him say "LOVE DOESN'T EXIST" I can fix that free of charge if you want me to Cupid said with a devious smirk on his face. Cupid reaches into his pocket and pulls out a mysterious glowing watch which he winds up and proceed to hand it to Alec. Cupid explains to Alec that the watch grants him the ability to pick anyone in the world to fall 100% in love with him. Cupid then goes even further to explain how to use the watch he tells Alec the only thing has to do is wink at the person he wants to fall in love with him. Eagerly smiling Alec reaches for the watch uh uh uh. Cupid then tells him there are 2 downsides to this ability 1# it only last for 24hrs 2# the person you picked completely forgets everything that happened once the 24hrs are up. Alec then pauses and thinks to himself shrugging his shoulders, he smiles and tell Cupid "I Would Rather Be In Love For One-day Than Not Be In Love At All" I'll take those words into consideration Cupid then grin tossing Alec "THE DESIRE".

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Two thoughts;

There is a moment in Marlowe's Dr Faustus where the protagonist asks Mephistopheles for Helen of Troy to fall for him. When she is brought before him she is a vacuous shell of a woman unable to give or receive any emotion. In a particular West End version she was shown on stage as a beautiful mask which slipped away when Faustus kissed her to reveal a skull. I see parallels between this and your idea.

My second less scholarly remark is from Men in Black when Will Smith quotes the following at Tommy Lee Jones "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all", to which Tommy Lee Jones sardonically responds "Try it".

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    123456789 likes this.
  3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

If it is a story that appeals to you and that you would have fun writing, I'd say go for it!
    Any story can become what the writer wants it to be, but it has to be the writer himself that makes the decision.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'm not certain what "THE DESIRE" is that Cupid is then tossing to your protagonist, but that doesn't really matter.

If you like the idea, then write it. It's as good as any other idea out there. What matters is how it's written. 100 people could write a story based on the paragraph you gave us and you'd have 100 different stories.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

It sounds interesting, but as with any story, there's no "should" about it. Do you want to write it? If yes, then write it. What you asking for permission for? It's yours to play with.

However, I hope you don't write like you do in your post normally. Your grammar needs to dramatically improve if you actually want a book others are going to read one day.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Coming up with an idea is the easiest part of writing. The execution of that idea is the hard part. If you think you can write a good story/novel with the idea you have, go for it.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

This story sounds terribly, terribly familiar--I feel like I've seen it, in fairly exact detail, even down to the watch (though instead of the home kitchen I think that the initial conversation was in a singles bar) as an independent film. The annoying thing is that I can't find the title of the film.

OP, do you ever go to film festivals? Is there any chance at all that you saw this story in a film, perhaps while in a sleepy daze one evening? If you're positive that you came up with it, then ignore me completely--anything you come up with on your own will be different enough from any similar work. My concern is that you might put some work into it and then realize one day, oh, no, that's where the idea came from!

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

It certainly reads like "I've just seen this film and I have to tell you about it."

9. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

I like the idea of Cupid showing up after hearing Alec's lament.
    If Cupid is going to be cooking breakfast I think he needs to be an unexpected type of Cupid. I'm thinking Sam Kinison playing the Christmas Ghost on Married With Children (it's on YouTube if you've never seen it). I could have a lot of fun making a non-traditional Cupid. :D
    At this point you could go two ways: the thing with the watch or...Alec only gets to choose ONE person to fall for him in his entire lifetime. Either way you get a great deal of conflict.
    Though it does sound like a 1980s romantic comedy there is potential here for a really entertaining story if it is written well. I concur that the OP's grammar skills need a great deal of work; here's hoping he typed that on a phone and not a computer.

10. Shamgar81

Shamgar81 Member

i believe that no idea is a bad idea, write about it by all means and if you get to a point where you feel its ran out of steam, put it on the shelf and go to a different project, who knows you might come back to this story refreshed with new ideas.

11. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I like the conditions of forgetting. It makes it less real love and more an illusion of love. I think it gives it a lot of potential.

Though, I think you reasoning on Cupid needs to go deeper than it currently is. Like currently he is interested just cuz of a random line he said? Or thought? This means Cupid is able to or was watching this random person say this well not creative line. I mean thousands of people have likely said those same words. Probably more than one person said it at this one day. So why Cupid was listening, why he cares and just generally how he works might be thinks to think of more.