ancient cultures and modern sexuality

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Emily Everheart, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Thank you for making me google "medieval slang for kissing," this was a very useful spending of the last few minutes of my life :bigmeh:

(Lip clap)

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Thank you for this bulse of a resource ;)

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Must. Not. Hop. Down. The. Bunny. Trails---!

How soon she twigs to what's going on will depend on how soon Fantasy World Girl does something Medieval World Girl interprets as intrinsically sexual/romantic. Keep in mind that that may not be the same for each culture.

How she interprets it and how she reacts will depend on what you want to have happen in your story. I'm assuming this episode is organic to your plot. So, what will be the consequences, however she responds? How will it affect conflict, characterization, and all the rest of it? Get that firmly in mind and write the scene accordingly.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It could be an internal conflict for the character. Though I doubt Fantasy C will be surprising Medieval C with Broom handle strapon. :supergrin:

Well sorry about that, but I blame Wrey for making me question it myself. Probably went more like this:

"Hey pretty lady, wanna snog for a bit?" (Bet you read that in an accent). :supergrin:

5. Simpson17866

No, I didn't read it in an accent, I read it the way a normal person would've done: in English.

... Seriously, my bloody signature links to a 63.000 word Doctor Who fanfic that it took me three years to finish, and you really thought you had to ask me that?

Your flat-mate must be so bored having only you for company. If you don't live on the ground floor, does your mate ever just stay in the lift for hours on end because you're a less interesting person to spend time with than an empty box?

6. Cave Troll

@Simpson17866 Really? It kinda had an Irish brogue to it running through my mind. Well then no more accent jokes for you. :p

7. Simpson17866

I'm actually 5th generation Irish American, I just happen to know how to read/write like a normal person instead :D

8. Cave Troll

Well damn it. Now I feel stupid. Sorry @Simpson17866. I hope I did not offend with my jest.
    I have to imagine things a bit more interesting since the mid-west is kinda flat and dull.
    Again I apologize for my jest. Please don't shoot me for trying to have a bit of harmless fun,
    it was not my intent to be hurtful.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. Simpson17866

The Irish-American guy just said that the Brits are better people than the Irish or the Americans, I'm not sure you're the one causing the problem here :twisted:

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

And just for the record, snog is relatively novel as regards slang. Dates to the 1940's, not the 1040's. ;)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  11. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

Flirting can be recognized as flirting regardless of who's performing it. A character who can recognise flirting when a man is initiating it, isn't going to think durr what's happening? When another woman does it.

12. Simpson17866

Assuming we've accepted the OP's world:

Imagine a trampoline. You know how a trampoline works, you've gone on a trampoline before, and you know what it looks like to use a trampoline.

Now imagine you find yourself on another world where some of the trampolines are high enough off the ground that people can jump on them upside down: jumping down to the ground and then falling back up.

If you've never even been told about anti-grav technology as a SciFi trope, would you have an easy time suddenly wrapping your head around it being real if nobody "warned" you about it ahead of time?

13. Phil Mitchell

Kind of an exaggeration, ain't it? o_O

14. Phil Mitchell

Kind of an exaggeration, ain't it? o_O

15. Catrin Lewis

I dunno. From another woman she might just think it's friendliness. And it's not true that everyone can recognise flirting when it comes their way, especially when it's not expected.

Anyway, flirting isn't the same as hitting on someone. You can flirt with a baby or the neighbor's cat, for goodness sake.

16. Phil Mitchell

Flirting can be missed - that's not the issue. The idea that unambiguous flirting will be missed just because she's never heard of lesbianism, isn't believable. Because she will still recognise the behaviours.

17. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I generally recognize flirting when I expect flirting (or when I'm interested in someone and am therefore tuned in to look for flirting) but there have been weird interactions I've had with people I didn't expect to be flirting with me (men way older than me, people in authority, etc.) that I didn't recognize as attempted flirting until way afterward or until someone else pointed it out.

18. Catrin Lewis

Exactly. Like you're someplace other than a nightspot with a female friend and a guy of the sort @BayView describes comes over and starts talking to you about whatever. When he goes away, your girlfriend comments, "He was hitting on you." And you go, "What?"

To clarify things for @Phil Mitchell, though, I did say this in my initial response:
    (Emphases also mine)

If you want to call that "unambiguous flirting," fine, though I'll argue that "Wanna make out?/Wanna snog?/Want a quick jump?" is not flirtation. And my overall point remains: It's up to @Emily Everheart herself to decide what place this incident has in her plot, and write it accordingly. The one thing I think we can agree on is that someone who has never heard of a certain phenomenon is not immediately going to interpret it correctly without further information.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm chiming in late, but to me, ambiguity is part of the definition of flirting. If it's unambiguously recognizable, it's not flirting, it's something else.

Catrin Lewis likes this.