?

Is "and then" good grammar or should it be forgotten?

1. Yes there is nothing wrong with "and then"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I feel that you should use one or the other, not both.

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I have no opinion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. InsaneXade

InsaneXade Active Member

"and" or "then" vs "and then"

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by InsaneXade, Nov 7, 2022.

I recently decided to try livingwriter as an alternative to scrivener because I had to switch to an android phone. It failed, by the way, If interested you can read about the experience here on the literature and latte forum. Since I temporarily migrated to LW, I can double-check my work with Grammarly. One of the corrections really tied my tail into a knot. Sometimes it wants me to a number of and s into "and then" and even change some thens as well.
    Example:
    Aden tugged his feet out [from under his wolf friend] one at a time then curled up to enjoy the next ten minutes before his alarm went off again.
    There's also this one
    A young unicorn trotted up to the fence to investigate the commotion. Speck returned to wolf form, and ran up to her, barking madly. The blue unicorn filly regarded the werewolf and snorted at him, pawing her pink front hoof. She wanted to play.​
    No matter which word I use and or then, it wants to use both. To me, that seems redundant. I know that Grammarly is best treated like a guide than a rule but this really got me thinking that I needed some opinions. So, let's see what you have to say.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I would not use 'and then' in either of those examples. I'd be inclined to use 'and' in both, but 'then' might work, depending on context. I use a spellchecker, and my brain for grammar.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I also lean toward And for both.

I don't see "And then" as proper grammar for the most part, only if it's in dialogue or inner monologue, because people do talk like that. It always reminds me of the scene from Dude, Where's My Car where's he's in the drive-thru.

4. InsaneXade

InsaneXade Active Member

oh I use my brain too but as I go over it I do find a few mistakes like double words, double spaces and even missing words that I accept. I just thought it would be fun to see what others thought about it.
    Yeah, I used to talk that way but I broke myself of that habit