1. JennyM

JennyM New Member

When all at once I saw a 'Cloud'

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by JennyM, Feb 21, 2013.

I've just discovered 'Cloud' - it's brilliant and so very easy! (Even for me!)

Don't know whether this has been mentioned before on this forum, or if you already know about it - if you don't I think you'd find this invaluable.

Cloud is where you save to a secure server (as well as to your personal computer).

Amazon and Google both offer 5GB of free cloud space (has there ever been a manuscript that big?).

I've hooked up with https://skydrive.live.com/ as they offer 7GB for free (using Amazon servers no less!)

All three can be used if you have a preference, giving you 17GB of free backup space. If you need more than that, you can purchase more space, depending on how much space you need costs are about $20pa upwards to about $200 for a 'fantistical' amount of space (industrial use).

For Skydrive and Google Drive, you just download a little piece of software which adds a Skydrive or Google Drive directory to your computer's directory. Simply save your ms to the Skydrive or Google Drive directory on your computer and it will sync with the same directory on the cloud servers - following the same 'parent/child' format.

This now means you will never forget to backup your ms and lose the lot if your hard-drive catches fire - I know the pain of this can be almost unbearable.

Plus, if you are staying with a friend, and feel the muse building in the night, but you don't have your laptop etc., providing your friend doesn't mind you borrowing their computer, you can continue with your ms as both Skydrive and Google both use their form of Microsoft Word. It is the same if you have a couple of hours to kill at an airport, pop into one of the internet cafés and type away.

Just thought I'd share this as it is completely free service.

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

just wondering, if you used another computer to continue your ms in airport for arguments sake, can you sync back from the cloud to your own computer when you get home?

3. JennyM

JennyM New Member

Yes you can. If you use a computer in an airport, say... log into your account at https://skydrive.live.com/,
    skydrive.jpg

You get 3 default folders, Documents, Pictures, Public - I've added a folder called 'Writing'.

Click on the file you want to work on, an editor will open just like 'Word'. Save it when finished. Then when you get home, open your laptop, the file is automatically updated - both files synced. It is the same file you are working on, and both are updated.

Whatever is in the Skydrive folder on your computer, the same is mirrored in Skydrive - it's neat!

(This is the first time I have uploaded an image, and it appears small. You can click the image and it opens bigger).

4. Mauthos

Mauthos Member

To be honest I have never used the Cloud, but it does seem that it could be a great way to back up your stuff.

The only issue I have in my paranoid mind is security and stability. How easy is it to hack the cloud and if there was a failure of their servers, can they guarantee your work will be safe and not lost in the ether?

5. JennyM

JennyM New Member

Hi Mauthos

I should think the security and stability worry is on par with a Yahoo or Gmail account. Yes they have been hacked (I know from experience it happens, though Yahoo said "Impossible"). I don't suppose anything on the internet is 100% risk free, not even NASA's website. That said, I think your cloud account would be as safe as your email account. Obviously, Google and Amazon have built their business on security, so I trust them as complete as I can muster.

Your work wouldn't get lost, unless of course the server got destroyed (plus the backup servers which are housed in a different place entirely are destroyed) at same time as your personal computer is also destroyed. What are the chances of that happening?

Plus, if you lose internet connection, you can still continue using the files on your computer, then when connection is established with the internet, your files will again by in sync.

It really is that simple.