1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Android question

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by SapereAude, May 1, 2021.

I hope this question fits here. I was looking for a freeware e-book reader for a Samsung (Android) tablet. Several people suggested one called FBReader, so I installed it and it works. So far, so good.

My reason for wanting it was (and is) that I've gotten myself hooked on the Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter on Mars series. Some of them (along with a host of other ERB titles) are now available for free through The Gutenberg Project. But ... only about half. And as installed, FBReader didn't access The Gutenberg Project, although I had been told that it does. I got that solved -- I was able to add the American branch of The Gutenberg Project to the reference library and download the John Carter titles that are offered.

I have since discovered that the Australian Gutenberg Project web site offers all but one of the John Carter titles, and with a choice of HTML, Kindle, or EPUB format. I've been able to download all the titles in EPUB format to my personal MyCloud file server.

The MyCloud is on my home network, and the tablet has WiFi access to the network. Does anyone know how I can configure FBReader to access the MyCloud device? Or, alternatively, how to manually copy the titles from the MyCloud into the FBReader library on the tablet?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

I use the Moon Reader e-reader. I download books to my computer and copy them to the "Documents" folder on my smarthpnone. Then I touch them and they ask if I want to open them with Moon Reader. I say yes. More than this is too complicated for me. :)

3. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

I second Moon Reader, though I use the paid version. It's been so long since I've used the free version, I don't remember what the differences are. I read all my ePub files with it.

I DO like the auto scrolling feature, it reminds me of my old Palm PDA.