1. NeilP

NeilP New Member

Android word processor

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by NeilP, Apr 26, 2021.

Anybody know of any decent free or 1-time payment word processors for Android?

I've been trying to use Microsoft Word on an android tablet, but the spell-checker doesn't work and I haven't been able to find any help from googling on how to fix it.

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

SoftMaker Office for Android. https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-android

It looks and works very much like MS Office, and can be set to read and write .docx file format as the default. Even better, you can select either the ribbon menu or a classic menu interface as the default.

3. NeilP

NeilP New Member

Thank you. I have just downloaded it - I'm enjoying the luxury of a working spell-checker again.

4. SapereAude

You're welcome. I think SoftMaker is one of those secret gems of the software world. It's a complete mystery to me why more people haven't discovered them.

5. SapereAude

By the way -- I don't know about the Android version but the version for Windows computers allows direct export to PDF and to EPUB.

Correction -- I DO know. I just fired up my Android tablet and found that the version of TextMaker on that also exports directly to both PDF and EPUB.

6. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I agree with you. I found Softmaker Office fairly recently but foolishly decided not to get a copy.

I keep saying I'm currently well served on my Mac by Devonthink, Numbers, Keynote, and either Mellel or Nisus, depending on my mood that micro-epoch. It occurs to me I should be able to pivot. Softmaker plus Obsidian on Linux would be a peachy writing environment.

In fact, I think I should go for it. I've been messing with a Raspberry Pi 400. Excellent little machine, and I bet it would run Softmaker just fine.

7. SapereAude

There is a completely free version of SoftMaker Office called FreeOffice. Like the paid version, it's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It doesn't have all the features of the paid version, but it has most of the features -- it's not a 30-day trial version, and it's not "crippleware" that lets you use it but disables printing, or puts a watermark on every document unless you pay up. I'll see if I can find the feature comparison table.

https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

https://www.softmaker.com/en/comparison-freeoffice-softmaker-office

For what it's worth, the feature comparison chart indicates that FreeOffice cannot export to EPUB. I have FreeOffice on my (Windows) desktop computer, so I just tested it. It's there, and it worked.

Last edited: May 8, 2021