1. swimwizard

swimwizard New Member

New Breed

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by swimwizard, Jan 19, 2011.

I just started a little pet project, trying to write my first novel. I have a sketchy prologue written, but its not that great. Its set in the fictional city of Four Lakes, Washington, at a high school called Four Lakes Academy. It recounts the story of Simon Osgood ("Oz" for short), and how he discovers he has this strange condition called The Breed. I don't exactly know the details of what The Breed is yet, or how I can lengthen my plot. Right now, it is written in the perspective of Simon on his deathbed, finally revealing the truth to what happened during his four years at Four Lakes. All I know is I'm shooting for a psychotic thriller, with blood, lots of it. I'm just looking for a good way to make this disease The Breed fit into my plot. Any help would be great!! :)

2. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

It depends on what you were thinking of, is it a physical thing or is it a metal thing?

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Makes sense with the name it would be a parasite or invader to the body that is different to the host.

4. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

It could be that the Breed is a delusion. An imagined condition on which he can blame his actions?

5. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

I like the idea that it might be a mental thing.

This is off topic, but...

My friends and I have discovered that there is this wierd phenomena that occurs between the males in my group of friends. Each general group of friends have a 'alpha male of the group', however my circle of friends doesn't really have one. So what we have found happends is, one of us at a time would just for, no reason just swell and explode both verbally and physicly. Recently we have pieced together a timeline of people that have done this and it seems to spreed like a virus would spred between person to person. So we call it the 'AMOG Syndrome'.

It probly doesn't make much sence but, ya'know....

The point is somthing like that, but inceased testosterone in the body which would cause eratic behaviour and add in some other things...like maybe somthing that acts like steroids. Throw that all together, thats a mix for some violent things.

Hope I helped...somehow XD

6. Julz

Julz New Member

The Breed.
    For a while in the beginning you could imply that the breed is really a werewolf thing. Then when you reveal thats Not the case, you imply its a vamp thing. Which it also is not.
    He could go on a journey to discover his family history only to discover that not only is he current family not blood related - but there is no record at all.

<< Now I'm stealing from my own current works somewhat here >>

He will discover the is not capable of procreating, and its a 'family' trait! huh?? How can this be??
    He will discover that he is actually a changling of sorts. He can not shift at will, but instead he re-creates himself.

This is where is can get really cool....
    He can actually do a 're-create' but will still be an adult with all his memories, so where did he come from as a child?
    The answer....
    ...His previous self is a villain. And as such set a number of things in motion before re-creating himself as a child - as a means of escaping or infiltrating or something more sinister!

Also, in the end you can even suggest there are more!

So, thats it from me - I hope some of my idea-storming is of interest.
    Julien.

7. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hi,

That sounds like a really cool idea, and I can identify with your dilemma: thinking of something that sounds awesome but then struggling to put the details together.

As people have noted, there's lots of variety and lots of ways you could take this.

Here's one thing that I'd recommend you NOT do: Don't imply the whole time that it's some type of virus or invasion or supernatural thing, and then have it turn out to be a mental issue. I hate the "it was all in their heads" type of ending; it usually has a strong cop-out feel to it, just like the "it was only a dream" ending.

What if The Breed is some type of alien virus that causes people to shift from being a human to being some type of monster? Of course, once it's developed, they'd have a human exterior as a disguise -- but their humanity is gone, and maybe they transform into their true self at night or something. And it's a slow process, so the victim has plenty of time to observe the process and know what's coming.

8. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

Maybe? No?

Introduce a parasite into Simon that messes with the pituitary gland, the prefrontal cortex and the amygdala, and you'll have a psychopath on steroids.

Simon gets it in the 6th grade. He has 3 years to fully develop psychotic tendencies and freakish strength.

Simon spends 4 years of high school having psychotic fun with lots of blood.

Simon ends up in the hospital. House treats him for parasites, he's cured.

Simon will remember everything, spending the rest of his life trying to come to emotional terms with what he has done.

9. Julz

Julz New Member

Samurai Jack : heh heh - thats very cool.

10. Headintheclouds

Headintheclouds New Member

The Breed could a genetic thing - a recessive gene that rarely shows up. It comes from a race of humans who were extremely violent and loved bloodshed from thousands of years ago. Over time, they bred with others and this recessive gene showed up less and less often. In modern days, it has almost completely faded (only a few people every generation). It can only occur when both parents are carriers of this recessive gene (which is rare on its own), and they both pass this on to the child (which is highly unlikely), who then adopts this recessive gene. This could cause him to have an unnatural lust for blood. You could also link this to famous dictators, generals, serial killers who were known for their bloodlust.

11. alexjrc

alexjrc New Member

Inception!

12. Lostro

Lostro New Member

Hmm I like the Breed being a genetic thing. Maybe the entire Four Lakes community is a military/government project to encourage (or eradicate) this trait. The Breed could be the ability access the genetic memory or part of a brain that deals with instinctual survival and predator drive. It gives the person almost supernatural ability to adapt, hunt, and kill. Which would explain why the military or the government would be interested in encouraging.