1. Monteriggioni

Monteriggioni Member

Angry Robot

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by Monteriggioni, Nov 17, 2017.

It's currently open until the end of the year. I'm thinking it's a good idea to send my MS, but I wanted to get some feedback.

I'm getting the impression that they're as legit as they come, but if someone has any experience working with them, it'll be nice to hear.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Hi all, I just wondered if anyone knows Angry Robot Books and what they're like as a publisher?

3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't know personally but there is a HUGE thread on them and their open subs events on another writing forum (which cannot be named...)

4. Mckk

And what does the thread say about them? Or PM me the link to the forum thread?

5. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Mckk likes this.
  6. almostvoid

almostvoid Member

NigeTheHat - years ago as an internet publisher there was a site to keep the industry honest known as - Preditors and Editors. I just looked -I use DuckDuckGo with Firefox- and they are gone! However they are also starting again. Here is the link: http://pred-ed.com/
    it is early days. But the first site had categories for everything. From as indicated of the title to publishers, e-publishers [which had been me], and all those in the industry. So I hope this venture works out well because -back then in 05-08 I managed to claw up to around #38 in world rankings!

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Reports from a person who has two books published by them is that they've always been good to him. His books are in my local library. That isn't the case with a lot of published books.

They had ~600 submissions during their last unagented submission period. Out of that they'll probably only pick up a few.

Last year's open submissions they got ~1200 subs I believe. Again, only a few get picked up but they read all the submissions and get back to everyone.

They had big staff changes earlier this year.

They have a growing number of books under their label that look like quality books.

Mckk likes this.
  8. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

They should ask they writers to send photos which you can at least call photographs.

About 75% of author photos are not photos but visual pollution. And I don't mean what author looks but the artistic and technical level of photos.

9. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

Angry Robot changed hands fairly recently. I would wait a couple of years to see if they sink or swim.

Mckk likes this.
  10. Mckk

Yeah from what I can tell from their website, and what others are saying on another forum, they seem definitely legit.

1200 subs last year, gosh. And do you know the stats for this year's Open Door period? Do you know what the wait time is for them to read a full? The website said 10+ weeks...

You're making me nervous lol. They requested my full manuscript yesterday (yep, did it through their open door slot). I'm quietly or not so quietly trying not to get excited and telling myself it's sure to get a rejection so when the rejection comes I won't be too heartbroken.

But yeah, just a little bit excited... 1200 subs last year. I mean, for all I know they got 12 subs this year but that seems unlikely. And they wanted to see mine. Ok that does make me wanna do a little somersault dance... lol.

11. GingerCoffee

They requested your full, that's fantastic!

Out of the 1200 I believe they only accepted ~3. This go round you are competing with ~600, But with both submissions only a top notch few had full requests. That's an accomplishment by itself.

Mckk likes this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

They do provide a list of the books they've recently published on their website, and I looked a couple of them up on Amazon.

Yes, they're there—although the Kindle formatting looks a bit weird on both of them (by different authors) on the Look Inside feature. There are no justified margins on either the left or right of the page. And the Kindle prices seem high ...more than £7 each. But they do seem to at least be real publishers.

What kind of deal they offer? Don't know.

Maybe try ordering one of their books, on Kindle and in print, and see how it looks?

Mckk likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

Print books look fine, @jannert. I have one right now I checked out from my library.

jannert likes this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's what I would recommend. Try the books.

Mckk likes this.