1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

An Artificial Government

Discussion in 'Research' started by ToBeInspired, May 24, 2016.

Edit: Well, I'm terrible at asking questions it seems. What happens when you pretty much raise yourself I guess. Have always rather keep quite than ask for help.

I'm working on a new series that involves the creation of an Artificial Intelligence and the advent of virtual immersion techology.

Since I've established I ask the wrong questions, I'll skip over that part.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a good suggestions for science fiction works with A.I, or virtual realities.

The current level of technology we have doesn't really matter, since it's Science Fiction, but it would be nice to know more about either fields. If anyone is a techie and happens to know a lot about it feel free to send some good links my way.

Disclaimer: Just looking for good titles or links to start my research.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You just need to start writing this and working it out as you go, get feedback on one part at a time. Questions like this:
    are essentially asking us to come up with big parts of the story for you. While I think you have plenty to get started without that.

Can't answer that until you write it. Then people might be able to see plot holes.

zoupskim likes this.
  3. ToBeInspired

I think we just have different personalities and writing styles. The mind works in mysterious ways and mine functions a bit oddly at times.

I like bouncing questions and ideas off other people. It doesn't even really matter what the answer is, normally. Talking it out helps me consider things that I miss. I could be asking about one thing, but thinking about five other things really. I honestly bounce a rubber ball off my ceiling when I'm bored and thinking. I like the back and forth... my mom didn't when I use to argue with everything in my pre-teen ages.

I was creating a thread in plot development at the same time as I was writing this thread, however. I came to the decision that I don't want to post my full plot, but I'm glad I wrote it out for myself and potential beta readers. Kind of integrated part of my plot development onto the research section -- thus edit.

Anyway, all I really want is some help suggesting where I start with researching. I don't have unlimited time on my hands. I got to sleep in today, but that was after an eighteen hour work shift. Which was following a sixteen.

To each their own, but I see no reason my requests would be unreasonable. Sharing of information... ya, kind of a good thing for humanity as a whole. Not asking anyone to record an audiobook and read it to me.

4. GingerCoffee

Maybe if you posed your questions a little more concisely I (or others) might be able to address them.

5. ToBeInspired

You're saying it needs to be even more concise than it already is? I thought it would help to have a snippet of some background plot in there, but mmk.

I like being all over the place, it leads to a lot of real life adventures.

Some people like Pepsi. Some people like Coke. Some would rather have Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper. Me? I mix it all together.

I'm not that good at making lists or organization. However, I'm great at following a pre-designed system to the T. We're all different, I like my quirks.

Alright, let's see if I can narrow it down.

6. GingerCoffee

You can always wait and see if other people answer.

7. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I don't think that AI has done enough yet to really help mankind. As far as i know the most its done is encourage people to yell at their cellphones (Siri requires a stern tone or she wont listen)

What you're asking for is kind of like an adults plan to hide the carkeys so their kid doesn't joyride, when its much more likely that if the kid found them the only danger they'd pose is as a choking hazard.

8. ToBeInspired

No, you were right. I'm one of those writers who either does nothing or it just comes out all at once. I can knock out a few thousand words like it's nothing. That's why I take little breaks and come back to it later. I have no problem having a heavy hand with my editing.

I took a second look and I was definetly rambling a bit. I meant to simply only put a few key points about my plot, but I got overexcited.

I'm not really worried whether you answer or not, though it's appreciated, just trying to get this down before I go to bed. That 5-8 hours would be put to more efficient use if it was completed correctly first.

@Chained: Guess I needed to specify that my world is going to be Science Fiction, in premise, so it doesn't have to reflect our current level of technology. When I'm speaking of an A.I., I'm considering a being more intelligent than any think tank. Passed the test, has emotions and the whole shabang. Pretty much a new life form.

Though, the A.I. isn't even really that important. I'm using it as a plot device. I'm providing the A.I. as a background plot to explain my world building. The series is focused on human characters. I'm not establishing the A.I. as a character due to it'll probably come out like it has a god complex. Logical little helper, that's all he is.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  9. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Oh, you want some ideas then, gotcha.

Bettered mankind - since its installment murders went down loads, waste of resources went down, polotical division in the country is so calm that dems and pubs don't try and murder each other, stuff like that.

Counter measures - Big red OFF switch that turns off the AI. Also, those three pesky laws that keep popping up.

Refs- If you want a good book written VR read Ready Player One

10. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

The first work of scifi to come to mind is I, Robot. The movie, not the book (which I haven't read and thus cannot recommend). It explores the realities of Isaac Asimov's three laws. As for immersion, look up the Oculus, it's a VR device that can actually make one ill if you wear it for too long.

Also, some links for you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_artificial_intelligence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

Hope this helps.

11. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Tron?

I would ignore Asimov's laws, artificial intelligence doesn't work the way that he thought it would back then. Intelligence is an emergent process, and a learning one, it will not be possible to program unbreakable laws into it.

Siri would not be a good example of AI, its an assistant, not an AI. Real AI is getting very sophisticated and we're very quickly approaching the technology singularity where the technology can contribute to it's own evolution. http://www.forbes.com/sites/bridaineparnell/2016/05/17/ai-recreates-nobel-prize-physics-experiment/#51e1d7f5f2b5

12. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

I watched the film and then read the book and thought to myself how the hell did they get the story for the film from the book. I read it for part of the university course I'm doing. There are some AI moral issues raised which are interesting and definitely worth a read for the enjoyment factor alone.
    Secondly when you think of AI it is important to recognise the computerised AI compared to a human brain (which in my opinion is AI, but that's for a different day). Look at how many calculations per second the worlds fastest super computer can do in a second then compare it to a human brain. You'll be surprised and again it is very interesting stuff.
    With the introduction of quantum computing it is conceivable that it will break new ground and leave traditional computing in the dust and no doubt overtake the human brain in years to come in not only its processing but its decision making and how it makes those decisions.

Shattered Shields likes this.