Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Writer Ray, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

These are some good lists. I'm proud I can still contribute some fresh anime to these list that I'm sure many of you will enjoy.

No Game No Life:
    [​IMG]

Sora and Shiro are two Shut-in step-siblings who are famous in the online gaming world as Blank, an undefeated group of gamers. One day, they are challenged to a game of chess by Tet, a god from another reality. The two are victorious and are offered to live in a world that centers around games. They accept, believing it to be a joke, and are summoned to a reality known as Disboard. There, a spell known as the Ten Pledges prevents the citizens of Disboard from inflicting harm on one another, forcing them to resolve their differences by gambling with games whose rules and rewards are magically enforced. (constant divine intervention!)

This one is a fast paced mind bender, that has tons of comedy and it will keep you hooked all the way to the end. It's very colorful art style will have your eyes glued to the screen. The biggest problem with this series is the excessive amounts of fan service they constantly shove in your face. If you can get around that, then I promise you'll be laughing, aweing, and cheering all through this one. Be forewarned: there is no announcement for a second season, yet, so once you blast through these twelve episodes, if you haven't' had your fill, you'll need to learn Japanese to read through the light novels these are based off of. personally I trust a second season will come eventually, so I'll continue to wait patiently.

Erased:
    [​IMG]

When tragedy is about to strike, Satoru Fujinuma finds himself sent back several minutes before the accident occurs. The detached, 29-year-old manga artist has taken advantage of this powerful yet mysterious phenomenon, which he calls "Revival," to save many lives.

I know that wasn't very much for a synopsis but this one is a mystery so I'm not saying much on purpose. I will say that it's mostly based around one criminal mystery involving the main character. It's a fantastic mystery, probably one of the best I've seen in an anime. It's very realistic despite the time traveling and it manages to handle that very well too.(I'm really picky about time traveling plots. so I can assure you on this.) If you think anime is too unrealistic and childish/cartoonish to take seriously, then please try this one out. It will start to feel like a film after a while. And I promise you won't regret it.

Punchline:
    [​IMG]

This one was kind of hard for me to recommend, but I didn't see it anywhere so I figured I'd mention it. It's a slightly raunchy comedy with a very confusing story. The mainstream synopsis for this one is terrible, so i'll provide my own. The main character(Yūta Iridatsu) dies at the very beginning of the series, and his body is possessed by another entity. The MC continues his existence as a ghost. He is trapped in a time loop that ends with the destruction of the World.(Ghost can time travel!) Using his ghost form he must figure out a way to get his body back and also unravel the mystery behind the end of the world. But if he ever accidentally sees too many pairs of panties donned by women, by that I mean just twice in a row, then he will lose consciousness up until the world ends, forcing him back in time, repeating the time loop. Oh yes, this is anime.

It's a very campy anime and it's fun to get lost in the plot of this one. As you can see, even in the banner for the show, there are two pantie shots, so unfortunately, I guess it can be considered, a theme? W/e the case, if you are looking for some action, comedy, and an intriguing story that doesn't require your full concentration, then I might recommend this silly over-the-top anime. This one has weaker characters compared to the others I recommended, but overall I think the plot makes up for it. I would really only highly recommend it to anyone who has seen lots of anime, and really loves everything about it, or if you like some of the stronger 'themes' this one has to offer.

I've got one more for you guys, a series that is currently airing.

My Hero Academia:
    [​IMG]

Izuku Midoriya is a regular middle school student in a world where people with superpowers known as "Quirks" are the norm. However, he dreams of one day becoming a Hero, despite being bullied by his classmates for not having a Quirk. After being the only one to try and save his childhood bully, Katsuki, from a Villain, All Might, the world's greatest Hero, bestows upon him his own quirk, "One For All". The story follows Izuku's entrance into U.A. High School, a school that cultivates the next generation of Heroes.

Superhero has become it's own trope. It was only a matter of time before we got a superhero high school anime. You'll probably only really like this one if tired tropes don't bug the crap out of you, and you can enjoy a series on its art alone. The story isn't bad, it's just not amazing or super original. The other ones I've recommended definitely have merits in their story/characters, but this one stands almost entirely on its art. If you enjoyed Naruto, One Piece, or even One Punch Man, you'll probably enjoy this one. Brace yourselves though, only six episodes are out, and I imagine this series is probably going to be much longer than any of the other ones I recommended.

That should cover what I have to offer as of late. If anything else comes to mind, I'll remember to come over here to post it.

Seraph751, Shbooblie and Mocheo Timo like this.
  2. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

Yep, No Game no Life is great, and I cannot emphasise how much I enjoyed Erased.
    In Erased I particularly liked something Yashiro (an important character) said, which highlights a major theme in the anime:
    "The essence of good deeds and evil deeds is the same. They're both no more than a person's actions to make up for a defect in themselves."

Funny, you're the 2nd person to recommend me My Hero's Academy today. It must be really worth watching it then.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Seraph751 and Megalith like this.
  3. Megalith

well it's not as good as No Game no Life or Erased, but since it wasn't mentioned I decided it was worth it to do so. Also you should add spoiler quotes to your reference, no need to spoil such a great anime for people who are interested. It looks like this:

Example: ["Spoiler"]add spoilers here["/Spoiler"]

Just remove the quotation marks. I know it's not super big or anything, but that anime is all about the mystery.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Mocheo Timo likes this.
  4. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Where is the JoJo love?

[​IMG]

This is only my personal opinion but besides Hunter x Hunter I've never read/watched an anime shonen/seninen type series I've found that I enjoyed so much. Its always fresh and changing and just overall a great ride!

Megalith likes this.
  5. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

Oups... I'll be more careful next time.

6. Megalith

JoJo's is really sweet. It's been mentioned a couple times already which is why I didn't. :p Yes a new season has started and we're finally passed the 90's cartoon that was so gory and bloody. I'm actually more excited about the season AFTER this one. Have you read the manga?

Kingtype likes this.
  7. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Yep!

I've read all eight parts or well I'm in the process of reading Part 8 and pretty far in but now you've spoken a crazy language to me :p Well to each his own of course and every part is good I assume you mean Part 5 when saying after this season.

That's my least favorite part.

I still like it of course but my personal ranking is Part 7>Part 8>Part 2>Part 4>Part 6>Part 3>Part 5=Part 1.

But as above all are great just some parts are more to my taste then others.

Megalith likes this.
  8. Dark Severance

Dark Severance Member

Currently watching Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Macross Delta, and Joker Game with a mix of live action Kamen Rider Ghost, Kamen Rider Amazon, Garo Makai Retsuden, and Keitai Sousakan 7.

9. Boger

Boger Senior Member

I just finished watching Golden Boy, it's everything I want an anime to be. And educational of course.

[​IMG]

Megalith likes this.
  10. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I recently marathoned a series called "Bokurano," a deconstruction of the mecha genre. If you liked Madoka Magica you'll like this one which actually came before it.

11. Megalith

"Study, study, study, study, study, study, study, study, study, study, study..."

Boger likes this.
  12. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Fairy Tail
    Log Horizon :-D
    No Game No Life
    Aoharu x Kikanjuu
    Kekkai Sensen
    Overlord
    Naruto
    Soul Eater
    SAO
    Kamisama Hajimemashita
    Servamp
    ReLife
    Hero Academia (the manga is kickass!)
    7 Deadly Sins
    Ai no Exorcrist
    Rokka no Yuusha
    Pandora Hearts
    Host Club ^ ^

13. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

1. Cowboy Bebop & Wolf’s Rain
    2. Noragami
    3. Kid’s on the Slope
    4. Baccano!
    5. No.6
    6. Sankarea: Undying Love
    7. Zetsuen no Tempest
    8. Hataraku maou-sama!
    9. Yamada-Kun To 7-Nin No Majo
    10. Tokyo Ghoul
    11. Akatsuki no Yona
    12. Blood Lad
    13. Death Note
    I've watched others but they're my favourites! Noragami is my baby and I'm wishing for a third series!
    [​IMG]

Oh thanks Yato!

yeon and Mocheo Timo like this.
  14. Seraph751

Oooo those were good too. I read through the manga on Blood Lad at least up to this point and I am hoping for a second season!!!!

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  15. Megalith

I have two new anime to recommend! They have some similarities. They are both Comedy Romances that have a lot more depth then what you'd expect and they are both still airing, so it's my guess these will be the best anime this season. More may come out as the summer anime takes off, but so far I'm only going to recommend the ones I have high expectations for.

Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (Re: Starting Life in Another World from Zero):
    [​IMG]

When Subaru Natsuki leaves the convenience store, the last thing he expects is to be wrenched from his everyday life and dropped into a fantasy world. Things aren't looking good for the bewildered teenager, however: not long after his arrival, he is attacked by some thugs; armed with only a bag of groceries and a now useless cell phone, he is quickly beaten to a pulp. Fortunately, a mysterious beauty named Satella, in hot pursuit after the one who stole her insignia, happens upon Subaru and saves him. In order to thank the honest and kindhearted girl, Subaru offers to help in her search, and later that night, he even finds the whereabouts of that which she seeks. But unbeknownst to them, a much darker force stalks the pair from the shadows, and just minutes after locating the insignia, Subaru and Satella are brutally murdered. However, Subaru immediately reawakens to a familiar scene—confronted by the same group of thugs, meeting Satella all over again—the enigma deepens as history inexplicably repeats itself.

This whole series is kind of like groundhog day. Where the main character repeats parts of his life over and over again. But the main difference is that he isn't trapped in a single day. As long as he can survive, he'll get new "checkpoints" like in Edge of Tomorrow. This average boy thrust into a dangerous world with this mysterious power tries to make the best of his situation, but his modern pampered life betrays him in this harsh fantasy world as he has to relive his nightmares over and over again.

I watched 5 episodes and dropped this series because it seemed a little slow, but I had heard some things, and my friend who is even picker than I am about anime, hadn't dropped it yet, so I decided to start watching it again. The show is currently on episode fifteen with a total of 25 episodes airing. I look forward the to the remaining ten episodes and after you get past the slow pacing in the few episodes following the pilot/first arc, you'll probably also get addicted to this strange series. Another great thing about this series is the characters. You'll get attached to most of them quickly, and they each have a lot to offer. I would recommend this to fantasy lovers and anyone who hasn't had their dose of 'useless protagonist caught in a storm'. Hope you enjoy if you decide to watch!

Rewrite:
    [​IMG]

Kazamatsuri, a modern, well-developed city renowned for its burgeoning greenery and rich Japanese culture, is home to Kotarou Tennouji, a high schooler least privy to the place's shared values. Content to fill his pockets with frivolity, the proud and nosey boy whiles away his time pestering the self-proclaimed delinquent Haruhiko, and indulging in his amorous feelings toward the oddball Kotori. One day a mysterious ghost appears in Kotarou Tennouji's room, scaring him out of his wits. After several appearances of the entity, Kotarou decides to look for an infamous 'witch' that attends their school. She turns out to be the leader and only member of the Occult Research Club, and after explaining his situation, he is forced to join the club to be ''studied'. Kotarou decides to gather friends to revive the Occult Research Club back into a full fledged club, and to prove to the leader of the club, Akane, that supernatural phenomenon exists.

This series is based off of my favorite VN. Which is partly why I had to mention it. When I heard this was going to be an anime I was a little disappointed because I thought, there is no way. The VN is 85+ hours worth of reading and even longer if your listening to all the voice acting or taking your time. not only that, but the very nature of VN's make it hard to translate them into anime. And this was especially true for Rewrite which has 6 endings and one true ending all of which are completely different from each other, with varying writers, genres, and heroines. You would think this would create a lot of inconsistencies but it's relatively consistent, leaving a lot of room for interpretation, allowing you to come to your own conclusions about certain events in the plot. This all culminated to create one of the most marvelous and incredible experiences of entertainment I've ever had. Not only did it inspire me, but it made me acknowledge Virtual Novels as their own medium which could tell stories in new and unique ways which other mediums couldn't replicate. Naturally, I didn't want the anime to ruin that.

Yet after just two episodes of the anime I knew that this series was going to try and stand on it's own. They are combining scenes and rearranging events to create a better flow of the plot for an animation. They are sticking to the main scenes/lines, while taking a lot of liberties to make sure the adaptation translates well into an animation. I think this season of Rewrite is only the first of many, or it might have a unique ending and stand on it's own, separate from the VN. At this point it is hard to tell, because the start of the story is always very similar.(known as the common route) Anyways, this was a surprise because as you can imagine most anime's based off of VN's are crap. But Key manages to keep a high quality in their translation of these two mediums, and they are doing just that in this new anime, Rewrite. I doubt it will live up to all my expectations, but it might get more people to read the VN which still stands at the top of my experiences across all mediums, including television series, books, movies, graphic novels, and other VN's. If you decide to watch this comedy romance with massive amounts of depth, just beneath the surface, then I promise you won't regret it, even if it ends up swallowing a hundred hours of your life.(including VN+anime in that equation) Enjoy!

Seraph751 likes this.
  16. Seraph751

@Megalith
    I have been looking for a new anime to watch and Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu seems to be right up my alley! Thanks!!!!

Megalith likes this.
  17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I have no idea what anime series to watch. Always end up watching features. Thought about maybe trying the Evangelion movies.

18. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Are you new to anime? If so, Cowboy Bebop is a pretty good introduction.

Malisky likes this.
  19. Megalith

They aren't too bad, but if you really liked the original, then there are a few I can recommend, although Evangelion, like a lot of anime, is quite unique to itself. Other anime that captures the grandness like Evangelion does are:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Code Geass
    Scrapped Princess
    Heroic Age
    (Might actually be the closest to Evangelion without being a rip off, though it's not nearly as dark.)
    Hellsing Ultimate

Series that are dark and wierd like Evangelion:

Serial Experiments Lain
    Attack on Titan
    Erased
    Mushishi
    Steins; Gate
    Future Diary

You mentioned you liked Daredevil which I also really liked. It doesn't have as much detective work, but Erased is easily the best one I can recommend to you from what I know about your taste.

Steerpike likes this.
  20. Steerpike

Fairly new. I've seen every Miyazaki, a bunch of Hosoda. Seen some well known ones like Akira and Ghost in the Shell, etc.

21. Steerpike

Thanks @Megalith. I'll look on Amazon and Netflix for those. Erased does look cool.

Megalith likes this.
  22. Mumble Bee

[​IMG]

23. Megalith

Crunchyroll is a good legal source for anime. It also has an app version that can be downloaded onto many different types of devices. It's free if you don't mind watching a few ads. If you are on your computer ad blocker will resolve that issue quickly.

24. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I (stupidly) thought I've heard some good things about this Gintama series, I'll watch it. Its really good but several hundred episodes long...I'm gonna be here forever.
    I need to get on and watch Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champaloo. Chihayafuru is also one I'm currently watching and its already made me cry and its about a bloody card game!

25. Mumble Bee

If you don't mind a foot fetish/underage-love then I suggest giving this a try. It's basically the best parts of a moive crammed into 20 minutes under the guise of an AMV.