Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Writer Ray, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Series:

1) Cowboy Bebop
    2) Samurai Champloo
    3) Ergo Proxy
    4) FMA (the first series, I liked most)
    5) Planets
    6) Avatar: The last airbender
    7) Death note
    8) Darker than Black (I only liked the 1rst season)
    9) Mushishi
    10) Captain Harlock (I watched this as a child, so... :p)
    11) Gantz

Movies and Anthologies (I'll skip out the Miyazaki ones):

1) Genius Party (Anthology/Can't recommend this enough. All time favourite).
    2) Genius Party Beyond (Guess...)
    3) Akira (Movie)
    4) Memories (1995) (Anthology)
    5) Animatrix (Anth.)
    6) The Girl who leapt through time. (Movie).
    7) Sword of the Stranger (Movie).
    8) Tekkonkinkreet (Movie/Awesome).
    9) Origin: Spirits of the Past (Movie).
    10) Neo Tokyo (Anth).
    11) Paprika (Movie).

Studio 4 C rulez!

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

^I love Cowboy Bebop, it was my first anime series, Ed is my favourite character.
    [​IMG] She is literally me, all day, any day.

Absolutely brilliant, but whether it's actually an anime series....
    It was created in America and is officially a 'cartoon', but has an obvious anime influence. It had American animators, but also had Japanese (and I believe Korean too).
    I'd call it a semi-anime. :p Also, I need to get on and watch the Legend of Korra.

Malisky and Mocheo Timo like this.
  3. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

!!!
    upload_2016-9-24_12-39-27.png
    If there was ever a voting to decide the most Japanese anime of all times, this would be the one!
    History, Action, Comedy, Drama, Pop Culture, Samurai!!
    What else do you need in your life?
    This is also one of my all-time favorites.
    Your other choices are pretty great too.

Plus, yeah, Cowboy Bebop is also amazing.
    And...
    One can't help but love her! Favorite character too.
    I'm decided on labeling my laptop TOMATO, right on top of the stupid Dell logo :p.

Malisky likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I just binge watched RWBY chapters 1-3. My friend recommended it to me.
    I like it pretty well. :p

5. Jadak

Jadak New Member

Just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood after putting it off for such a long time and I really enjoyed it! Started to rewatch Rurouni Kenshin. LOVED it when I was 14 so heres hoping it holds up 10 years later.

6. PrincessBLJack

PrincessBLJack New Member

Back when I was young I liked a lot of anime, but now I find them dull. The only one I say I really like is Haibane Renmei, at least as far as shows go. One of my friends (one the only people I know who actually seen it) described Haibane Renmei as a Miyazaki film in a series. Which is kinda accurate. It has that whimsical feel that a lot of Miyazaki films have. While the main character isn't a child, well... in a way she is, but anyways, she is innocent to the world she is thrown into, and has to figure out where she, why she's here, and what she should do. It is philosophical, and the main character will ask deep questions and explores them. While she won't always find an answer, but you get enough information that you kind of piece together what is going on. Its a slow show, it takes it's time in exploring the world, the people, and the situations it's presenting. Some might find it boring, but I find the characters likeable enough, and situations interesting enough that I dont mind sticking with them for a while. It helps too that the animation is gorgeous. The setting look like beautiful artwork you'd hang on your wall. Everything is just so pretty. Its the guy who did the artwork for Seriel Experments Lain who did the art for this (as well as wrote it) and when it wants to get weird it gets WEIRD. There is no violence in the show, nobody ever throws a punch. I think somebody slapped somebody once, thats about it. But it doesnt need fighting. It's a story about discovery and being ok with yourself. I gonna stop here. I can go on FOREVER about how much I love Haibane Renmei. It probably my favorite thing ever... in all of media.

Other anime series I like:
    Madoka Magica (im a fan of the writer. I like his Visual Novels, espcially Saya No Uta)
    Gunslinger Girl
    Sora No Woto (I like to call it Haibane Renmei light, because the characters are kinda the same)
    Rozen Maiden (the original series. The 2013 reboot, I do not like)
    And... idk... thats it I guess. I like cutesy anime that doesnt have a lot of sexual themes.

yeon likes this.
  7. Moe1795

Moe1795 Member

My faves are the really old ones they used to pass on tv like astro boy and all that, and the classics. I want to make a manga/comic hybrid with most of the manga elements without the manga faces. I just think its time to move on from the big eyes and exaggerated expressions. Im looking for a artist for this but since I cant find them ill prob just write my story as a novel.

Im also looking for friends a girlfriends hit me up!

8. yeon

yeon Member

My avatar is from Alien 9. I liked how cinematic it was :-D The story itself was kind of sparse and put together though. I would put it into a genre similar to Haibane Renmei or Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

This chart is incredible. ..

9. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Popping in randomly to let everyone who is interested know that second season of Rewrite has started!

Rewrite is a Visual Novel adaptation. A Visual Novel(VN) is a pick your own adventure style novel, accompanied with voice acting, simple flash animations and highquality artwork. They are very entertainting, usually with many endings.(e.g. routes) If you are into anime and are looking for a more personal experience with your characters and stories, I would highly reccomend it. The first season of Rewrite was an original mashup of all of the different routes from the VN. This was messy and hard to follow, as most VN adaptations turn out. Usually because they tend to cover too much information, or leave out very important plot aspects. Crammming it all into one season left it emptier than if they had just chosen a single route. But since they decided to tell the whole story in two seasons, they were forced to shove some of it down our throats. Considering though, it wasn't too bad and it still allowed you to get a good feel of the characters, and if you pay really close attention you can catch a lot of extra tidbits that add plenty of depth to it. Rewrite in particular is famous for letting you interpret some of the more important plot points. It will feed you a little bit then scattter the rest into the wind, leaving you sniffing through the grass. It can be confusing at times, but it's worth thinking about most of the time. Once you have finished the first season, then it's time to enjoy the payoff of having sat through a seemingly mediocre series. Except the ending. Rewrite is good at dramatic bitersweet endings and the anime only original route that was the first season is no exception. Combined with the soundtrack, even the hardest of men will quickly find tears in their eyes.

Rewrite: Moon and Terra
    [​IMG]

The second season starts with the penultimate conclusion of the Visual Novel, Moon. This part of the game is a lot more straightforward and is the reward for having played through the rest of the routes.(All the other endings) This makes it much easier to adapt as there isn't a lot of contention about how the events play out. You're all lucky that you can enjoy this without having to put in the sixty+ hours the VN requires of you just to get to this point. Having said that it probably won't be any less confusing. This anime makes you work to understand it and it's brilliant that way. But I promise that if you watched the first season, it would be a huge mistake to stop there. Every moment of the second season will only enrich your entire experience with this series. It will be difficult to wait another week for the next episode as this greater than life mystery unravels. But the series won't stop there because following that is Terra, the final arc of this masterpiece. If it continues to adapt the VN flawlessly through to the end in this season, then I know your in for one of the greatest endings ever, in anything, ever. And I'm not just saying that. I have no idea how to criticize this ending of Rewrite, having played through the VN multiple times, and it's the first time I wanted to use the word 'perfect' to describe something. That's why you deserve to know this anime exists, and I hope you enjoy the final season of Rewrite!

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You're not alone. :) Anime, for me, is Starblazers and Galaxy Express 999.

Moe1795 likes this.
  11. Moe1795

Moe1795 Member

Metropolis!

12. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Have you heard of Legend of the Galactic Heroes? It's a sci-fi about a galactic war that started airing in the late 80's.

It's a little unrefined in some areas. But if you can look past that, it's telling a giant story and the pacing is great throughout. It's such a monster of a story that it's 110 episodes long! The narrative is great and it's almost like a your watching a real piece of history. It's in the top ten of all anime as listed on Myanimelist, which is the closest anime has to rotten tomatoes, with a rating of 9.1. If you haven't looked into it, I would highly recommend it. :D

[​IMG]

Moon likes this.
  13. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Just in case Bakemonogatari hasn't been mentioned yet...

Bakemonogatari: an excellent study on how, if your characters are amazing, nobody cares about your plot.

Megalith likes this.
  14. Joe King

Joe King Member

Anybody into Dragon Ball Super??

15. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Banned

Here's my top 10 list of favorite anime, in order:
    1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Mai-HiME
    3. Ergo Proxy
    4. Kill La Kill
    5. Rin: Daughters Of Mnemosyne
    6. Berserk
    7. Sailor Moon
    8. Blue Gender
    9. El Cazador de la Bruja
    10. Prison School
    And here's a list of favorite anime movies :D
    1. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    2. Perfect Blue
    3. Paprika
    4. Spirited Away
    5. Miss Hokusai
    Sailor Moon or Tenchi Muyo were my first anime shows I watched, but it was Inuyasha that got me into anime completely. Personally, I couldn't get into anime shows such as Bleach, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, Attack On Titan, Sword Art Online or Fullmetal Alchemist :confused: NGE especially I should've loved, but I didn't. Guess because since it was one of a kind back in its time, I wasn't impressed by it by being exposed to more recent anime first, but I respect it

16. Commander Caty

Commander Caty Banned

The only anime I'm really into is Naruto. I've been binge watching it like crazy on Netflix. Lol

17. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

(Not sure if this anime has been recommended before, but it's fairly new and act 2 has been released recently, so... here I go)
    Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Lovers of Japanese culture, beware! Here is an anime totally cut out for you.
    It is devoted to the traditional Japanese art of comic storytelling: rakugo.
    The plot, though, goes much further beyond exposing rakugo.
    A love triangle.
    A deep rooted brotherly bond.
    A struggle to nourish a dying cultural trait.
    All of this and much more, packed in a biographical narrative with excellent pacing and with a lot of drama.

I loved this anime, because it meets all that I usually search for in anime.
    1) The animation is great, with peculiar details as to the motion of characters and background (worthy of Studio Gibli's style).
    2) It is not too long. 12 episodes only (in act 1).
    3) It takes real-life factors into account. (A background character is not always smiling; if someone falls, he gets hurt; a geisha does what a geisha is supposed to do)
    4) It has lots of visual imagery. (I love the way anime explains ideas and concepts through images)
    5) The background sound and the choice of soundtracks work well with the story.

There may be more criterion, but those worked well for me.
    The only case I don't recommend this anime, is if you are a fan of shonen and look for action in every series you watch.
    I'll admit, this one has a lot of talking.
    But it's not lacking in entertainment at all!

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.png

18. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

The brilliant manga yes, the crappy anime Barely.

19. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I've wanted to get into anime for a long time now. I've read some manga, but no one has ever really ever told me of any good anime to watch. (Best friend loves anime, I don't know why we never watched any together) I finally got on Netflix about a week ago and decided to watch Blue Exorcist, because it was the first thing I saw on there that didn't sound stupid and I had bought the first manga not too long ago (which is sitting in my huge pile of books to read). It was really good. Best first anime.

20. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Just recently started the anime ReLIFE. I must say, as a fan of slice-of-life animes, I'm finding this one to be pretty endearing. While the characters fall into pretty typical archetypes, they still manage to be interesting enough to warrant watching.

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen the Soul Eater anime as well as read the manga? I want to vent about it but I don't want to do so if no one can understand a lick of what I'm saying.

21. Dante Yukikaze

Dante Yukikaze New Member

I enjoy anime immensely. List follows:

The Monogatari Series. Bake, Nise et cetera.

One Piece and the manga.

Medaka Box. (Also written by Nisio Isin the writer of Monogatari Series) And the manga.

Seitokai Yakuindomo, Strike the Blood.
    All some good content. In this order.

22. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

I have watched so much anime that will be a long track to write here. Where are some examples: Death Note, Death parade, Cells at Work, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Cowboy Bebop, Yuri on Ice, FLCL.

23. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Sure. I watched a lot of stuff with Megumi Hayashibara in it. Favorites include:

Ranma 1/2
    Slayers, all the seasons, and the movies
    Sabre Marionette J, all three seasons and the OVA
    Patlabor, the TV series
    All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku
    Cowboy Bebop
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (strong start, weak finish)
    Video Girl Ai
    Project A-ko

Very old school: some I first saw on imported laserdisks.

Mckk likes this.
  24. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

Well I really love both FMAs, especially Brotherhood. Naruto will always hold a place in my heart. I have good memories of One Piece from middle school, but I couldn't get back into it in adulthood. Waaaay too childish, repetitive and has poor pacing. Yu Yu Hakusho was great. DBZ was pretty good. Souleater is cool. Yugioh was literally my childhood. Also enjoyed Attack on Titan. Tried Bleach, enjoyed at first, but got bored of it pretty quickly.

Oh also enjoyed Saint Young Men. It's awesome. It's a slice of life about Jesus and the Buddha as roommates. Highly recommend.

Right now I'm watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is alright but not that great. On the list to watch afterwards are Berserk, Hunter x Hunter, Cowboy Bepop, and maybe Ghost in the Shell.

25. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

A Karl Marx anime made in China. W.T.F.

Saved for the next time I'm hammered. Might be good for a laugh.