Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Writer Ray, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Let's revive this topic :)
    Ghost in the Shell is definitely on top of my list. Clever plot, many little things that make it enjoyable. A women as a hero.
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - it extended the magic of the book so perfectly. I still have chills thinking about Joe the Indian.
    Death note
    The Girl who leapt through time. (Movie).
    Origin: Spirits of the Past
    Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Code Geass

2. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I've really been enjoying Kimetsu no Yaiba this season. This was a good season for me, new One Punch, third Bungou Stray Dogs. I've been digging Fruits Basket too. I'm stoked for the next season of Shokugeki no Soma to come out this fall.

ImpactFrames and Merovingian like this.
  3. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

I finished Stein;Gate - to be honest "Time travel stories" become all the same.

4. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

Did you like it? I didn't that much. Mayuri's Tuturu ruined it for me.

5. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Made in Abyss
    Dorohedoro
    Ishuzoku Reviewers

Not a big Anime guy...but these three new ones are at least something different and I'm enjoying them.

-SIN

6. ImpactFrames

ImpactFrames New Member

Currently watching:
    My Hero Academia's 4th season
    Healin' Good Precure

I've had my eyes on "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken" since it's an anime about making anime which is what I would like to do!

A few of my favorites are:
    • My Hero Academia - The characters are super loveable, the animation's superb, and it's designed by one of my favorite character designers, Yoshihiko Umakoshi.
    • Katekyo Hitman Reborn - SEVERELY underrated though it takes a bit of time to get to the good stuff. Once it picks up you're in for a ride. Designed by my other favorite character designer Masayoshi Takaka.
    • Heartcatch Precure - Even if it is just an extended commercial for children's toys, this season really feels like so much more than that to me. The plot is amazing, especially that of the movie. Also designed by the wonderful Umakoshi.
    • Noragami - The main trio is very endearing, not to mention hilarious. You'll be riding the feels train more often than not. Animated by the lovely studio Bones~
    • Kyousougiga - A wonderful tale about family, abandonment, and redemption, not to mention it's fun as heck to watch. (Good luck understanding Episode 0.)
    • Mob Psycho 100 - Coming of age story that stands out from other shounen due to the unique circumstances of the protagonist. Also love the zaniness of it all.
    Kimetsu was really good! Thats about as much gore as I can handle though. Glad to see another BSD fan!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  7. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I'm really digging Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! At first I couldn't get into it because it seemed a bit too much of an artistic wank, but the plot is developing, and I am really loving it these days. Also love the opening theme. MHA is ++good. It can make me tear up, laugh, slide to the edge of my seat whilst biting my nails. Such a good show. And yes, love BSD! Noragami also good. Tried to get into mob psycho, but I just can't for some reason. I'd like to say that with all the social distancing I now have time to give it another try, but I've been social distancing my entire life, and I'll give it another try when I have nothing more pressing to watch, hah! I'm looking forward to Spring 2020: Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen, Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season, Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara, Fruits Basket 2nd Season, Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen 2nd Season. *tents fingers* Excellent.

8. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I identify as an anime girl.

Bakemonogatari
    Kizumonogatari
    Nisemonogatari

I've got Bakemonogatari Second Season coming in the mail. And I can watch Nekomonogatari Black on Crunchyroll.

I have a Kimi no Na wa poster I still need to hang-up in the downstairs of my apartment somewhere. Just not sure where to put it yet. Gotta' claim my territory.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  9. Malum

Malum Offline

After watching Death Note and Evangelion (god, The End of Evangelion is so good) I felt like I wouldn't be able to find a superior anime... Revival in the hopes someone loves Evangelion....

10. Malum

Malum Offline

11. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Elfen Lied...

J.T. Woody likes this.
  12. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

I feel the same way. Evangelion is basically a critique of anime viewing as escapism as well. Actually made me want to live my life more fully.

Malum likes this.
  13. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I watched that one while I was in High School.
    It was a Catholic school so I took Latin class and I was also a "rebel"...... so for a Latin assignment, I played the Elfen Lied opening song in class and translated it.
    'A' for the translation.... in terms of taste? I got the side-eye for a while.

apparently it wasn't appropriate:rolleyes:

ruskaya likes this.
  14. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

watched recently:
    Vindland Saga.... though i need to watch it again and actually pay attention to the beginning. I started really paying attention at the big turn of the series (the event that pushes the MC on his quest).

15. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I haven't watched many anime, but noticed the almost-obsessive take on cat ears . . . what is that about?

Elfen Lied seems interesting, I am thinking of watching it. And I like the opening music--that is a good sign.

16. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

it sounds interesting, what do you mean?

17. Naomasa298

I got my singing teacher to teach me to sing that song. I neglected to tell her what the show involved...

J.T. Woody likes this.
  18. Naomasa298

I learned a lot about Ainu culture from watching Golden Kamuy recently. Also enjoyed it for the historical bits dealing with the Russo-Japanese war.

19. Zeppo595

The guy who wrote the story was an 'otaku' who was depressed at the time. He has mentioned in interviews he wrote Evangelion as a critique of this 'otaku' anime/manga culture.

When the show starts out, it's basically a traditional kind of story about robots and aliens and a young boy whose destiny is to fight them. Standard hero type story.

But about half way through, it becomes more about the psychological state of this character. There is a lot in the show about him 'running away' and not connecting with people.

When Shinji ruminates on how he keeps trying to runaway/escape because he despises himself, it feels like Shinji represents us audience members and the show is a commentary on how we use anime/manga to run away/stay disconnected from each other.

ruskaya likes this.
  20. Malum

Malum Offline

The End of Evangelion (film) is its pinnacle. Beautifully harrowing. I like to consider it the true ending.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  21. Zeppo595

Yeah, it's funny how the final ep of the show just ignored the plot threads of so many characters and even with the main one, left it massively up for interpretation.

That that movie well ...it went pretty far! What did you make of the parts where it showed non-anime stuff like cos-players/adults sat in a theater (I first thought it was a movie theater but apparently it was some sort of a cult?)

I thought the final scene was a total joke but I like the interpretation that it's representing the idea that we can connect only by being emotionally honest.

I'm surprised that a show with as many disturbing/weird elements has reached such a high level of popularity.

It's one of those shows where going into a rabbit hole of the different theories is part of the fun in itself. The only other show like that for me is Twin Peaks.

Other anime looks shallow in comparison.

22. Naomasa298

Most annoying anime might have to be Katanagatari. It keeps building up expectations and then turning round and going "Gotcha!". Once? OK, that's good. Twice? Still good. Three times? Getting to the limits of tolerable. How about once every other episode?

It's highly enjoyable though.

I also really enjoyed Boku ga Inai Machi. A powerful story about a guy who travels back in time to try and save his classmates and then eventually his mother from being murdered.

And just because I know it's going to annoy people:

23. Zeppo595

I've only actually seen 3 entire series:

Cowboy Bebop
    Death Note
    Evangelion

(Plus, I have read Monster)

I tried Bananafish but it just wasn't doing it for me - I guess I found the MC being tortured/gay/bad ass/intellectual just a bit too much.

I loved how cool yet haunted by tragedy by the characters of Bebop were.

The twists and turns of Death Note were mind-bending. I can't imagine how the hell they managed to come up with some of those plot threads.

And Evangelion is something that has a depth to it and ultimately a message to live your damn life and STOP RUNNING AWAY

so yeah I don't know if I really want to get too much more into this.

People always recommend 'Full Metal Alchemist' and I've seen it top a few polls.

24. Naomasa298

Monogatari series. 'Nuff said.

25. Malum

Malum Offline

It was made due to the out-lash at the original ending and I suppose that's breaking the fourth wall although I've never read up on it all too much. I think it's popular because it made the characters fallible and human rather than a power fantasy.